Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Front Door Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Door Speakers

One of mine is crackling, wut can u put in there that would sound sweet, the rest of my car has one JL12 W1 wit plentyoff clean bass, would infinity 6.5s work?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They work but alot of guys have been unhappy with them since they lack a certain amount of midbass and the high frequencies have always sounded a bit shrill to me. I carry them and have used them before. A better option in that price range are the JBL P662 over the Infinity. A better option beyond that is the CDT CL-61CV I use in my package deals on sale right now for $159.99.
The JBL's need a slight mod, like the Infinity's to wire up to the stock system. The CDT's wire up exactly like stock and do not need to be modded.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
They work but alot of guys have been unhappy with them since they lack a certain amount of midbass and the high frequencies have always sounded a bit shrill to me. I carry them and have used them before. A better option in that price range are the JBL P662 over the Infinity. A better option beyond that is the CDT CL-61CV I use in my package deals on sale right now for $159.99.
The JBL's need a slight mod, like the Infinity's to wire up to the stock system. The CDT's wire up exactly like stock and do not need to be modded.
ok cool, now wut do u mean the others need to be modded to work wit the system?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

In a Camaro you have what looks like a coaxial speaker (tweeter mounted in the center of the speaker) and essentially it is....but...the tweeter and the midbass portion of that speaker are wired separately. 2 pairs of wires running to one speaker. A regular coaxial speaker has 1 pos and 1 neg. So in order to wire these correctly you have to do this mod to a regular coaxial for them to work in a Camaro with the Monsoon system:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-monsoon.html
As I stated in that particular thread, I have some coaxials that are better for this mod then others that actually have the tweeter wires running up the rear magnet on the speaker so that you don't have the wires running in front of it.
I also have the speakers I use in the packages that are made like the stock ones in that they are already wired separately but can be mounted coaxially like stock.
Hope that helps! The Monsoon system can get kind of complicated but it can be modded and sound good when done correctly.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
In a Camaro you have what looks like a coaxial speaker (tweeter mounted in the center of the speaker) and essentially it is....but...the tweeter and the midbass portion of that speaker are wired separately. 2 pairs of wires running to one speaker. A regular coaxial speaker has 1 pos and 1 neg. So in order to wire these correctly you have to do this mod to a regular coaxial for them to work in a Camaro with the Monsoon system:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-monsoon.html
As I stated in that particular thread, I have some coaxials that are better for this mod then others that actually have the tweeter wires running up the rear magnet on the speaker so that you don't have the wires running in front of it.
I also have the speakers I use in the packages that are made like the stock ones in that they are already wired separately but can be mounted coaxially like stock.
Hope that helps! The Monsoon system can get kind of complicated but it can be modded and sound good when done correctly.
Excellent info, i will get the CDTs then so i can just put them in easily, how do they sound compared to the infinitys or aplines or others out there??
Old 12-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

Better then both of those 2. I have used them both in various configurations in my 98 Trans Am with the stock system and on aftermarket power and neither of those 2 held a candle to the CDT's. That was the biggest reason I started carrying them. I bought and used their products blind before I ever sold them. I had never heard of CDT or heard their speakers but they came highly recommended from a couple of audiophile car audio guys I knew and corresponded frequently online that had good reputations . I started using them about 4 years ago in my cars and approached them to carry the line because of how much I liked them personally.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't go wrong with the CDTs that Ian sells. They blow Alpine and certainly Infiniti out of the water, particularly with the tweeters. I put them and Bazooka subs in my Formula and will do the same to every f-body I own from now on.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Teching In

in my opinion the memphis mc would be the best bet in my opinion there are no speakers out there than can compare for the price. the cross over should fix the monsoon problem also if i am not mistaken.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by big hoge
in my opinion the memphis mc would be the best bet in my opinion there are no speakers out there than can compare for the price. the cross over should fix the monsoon problem also if i am not mistaken.
An external crossover actually complicates it further. With 2 pairs of wires running to the one speaker which of the 2 pairs do you run into the crossover? The tweeter wires or the midbass wires. They are separately powered from 2 different sources so you can't just twist them together and put them on the input of the crossover.
Memphis does make a quality product though and the M Class Memphis product line is about the same quality, price and sound as the JBL Power Series when heard side by side. They even share the same honeycomb core cone. The Memphis is a slight bit brighter though using a metal tweeter vs. the textile dome tweeter which is a little less bright.
Neither are quite as good as the CDT though for overall sound quality.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Teching In

another one for the CDTs from kee audio. Just got my camaro package from him today. Seems like its pretty straight forward for install and a quality product, can't wait.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i see rockford fosgate makes a pair of nice ones too
Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Went wit the JL TR650XIs and they pound like crazy and sound great!!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is I luv my MB Quarts.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
Went wit the JL TR650XIs and they pound like crazy and sound great!!
jls in the door?

Quick Reply: Front Door Speakers