Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

has anyone had fuel gauge peg on full???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone had fuel gauge peg on full???

my 99 camaro ss i just bought has the fuel gauge pegged on full when theirs only 4-5 gal of gas. has anyone had this happen to them? if so, what is the fix?
thanks
Dan
Old 01-04-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has never done that. But I have to get a new gauge cluster anyway cause my fuel gauge is not working right and last time I had it in the shop, the owner said he personally looked at the car his self and said there was nothing wrong anything fuel related other than it had to be the gauge cluster itself.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago I got a bad batch of gasoline from a local Shell station. The engine performed fine, but the gas gauge was pegged on full. The problem was attributable to high sulfer content in the fuel. After switching brands, and going thru several tanks of gas my gauge was still registering full.

The problem was fairly wide spread in the New Orleans area, and made reports on the local news. I filed a claim with my insurance company, and had my car serviced at my local Chevy dealership. They replaced the sending unit in the tank, purged all the fuel out of the lines, etc. The repair bill was around $1,200.00.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Mine will stick past full occasionally. A good thump to the dash and it falls back.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
Mine will stick past full occasionally. A good thump to the dash and it falls back.

i think i'll try that 1st.
thanks, i will let you know if it works.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

i had this happen on my 03 e500 mercedes and my buddy who is a service advisor told me to run a high grade fuel injection cleaner(i used the chevron by his recomendation)
and added some more gas(about 5 gallons) and after a few hours of driving it went bad to normal and hasent happened yet so......

Quick Reply: has anyone had fuel gauge peg on full???