Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

why delco cd changer won't play in my 00

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why delco cd changer won't play in my 00

I have a y2k Formula with factory monsoon cd and steering controls. works great. I bought a delco 12 cd changer off the board here from an 01 t/a with the same cd/steering controls. I have a plug in my trunk for a changer. I had the guy send pics and his trunk plug has the exact same wiring/colors as mine. I put the plug into his changer and it started searching for discs. I ejected the magazine and filled the trays from the bottom up with cds placing them label down as the owner manual instructs. I install the magazine into the changer with the radio playing. The changer scans all 12 discs. That's it. No cd symbol in the bottom corner of my head unit. I hit the "cd/play" button and the radio keeps playing. I put a cd into my head unit and the cd symbol shows and it plays the cd in the unit. All the buttons function fine.
It just will not recognize cd's in the changer.
I tried this before with an older delco chager dated 1997 out of a Camaro/tape player car. Did the same thing - but his wiring and colors were different than my cars factory plug so I sold the changer. The guy that bought it plugged it into his Camaro and the changer worked for him.
Why won't this Pontiac changer with the same wiring play cd's? All I get is power to eject the magazine and scan the trays?
Anybody please!!!!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might have an older CD unit, that will not support the changers

98 and some 99 don't control it.

Is yours stock, or ever warranty replaced?

Ryan
Old 02-09-2004, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slow: good question! I assume it's the original, but could have been changed I guess.
I bought the car with 18k traded in BUT it already had Flowmaster cat back and the ashtray was missing (I instantly though a hole or a switch for something may have been in the ashtray).
If I pull the head unit out how can I tell - is it dated like the changers are?
Would the factory harness into the trunk still plug into a head unit that won't operate a changer?
thanks