Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Some non F-Body help pls

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some non F-Body help pls

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on adding speakers to a ford ranger.

It's a stripper model, 2 door, no cab, no power anything, not even a tape player head unit. I replaced the head unit with a POS Sony, but that's not a big deal, this is a work vehicle not a sound machine. However, that being said, I am in the thing 10 hours a day and the only speakers in it are the ones in the doors for a whopping total of 2. There are 2 more factory locations behind the driver and passenger seat for speakers, but they are not included in this model.

I do not need it louder, I just need some bass. The speakers in the doors are stock and have absolutely zero bass response. It's flatter than Paris Hilton.

I'm not looking to thump or pound, I'm just looking for a nice full sound with some response. I can fit 6.5's in the two locations behind the seats without modification which is what I prefer. My question is, what speakers should I get and will I need to wire an amp to get any sort of response from them. I figured I could pick up the HD-6CF special from Kee Audio that has 2 6.5'' and put those bad boys in there, but then I'm afraid I would need an amp. I'm essentially trying to avoid an amp, but I will put one in if necessary.

Am I basically looking at needing an amp to specifically send low frequency to these speakers? Is there something I could buy that would be a cheaper solution than an amp system?

Halp.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Nobody?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The low frequencies are going to need the most power to be reproduced effectively, so take that for what it's worth. A head unit with a decent amount of power would probably do it though if you really don't care about it being loud. Any idea what the RMS rating is on the head unit?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I honestly have no clue.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

I would use a component set in the doors so that you can use the crossover to get the most bass response from the midbass without distortion. This way you can turn the bass up on the unit. I did this in my friends Corolla for the doors and it was hitting like crazy off the head unit with no amp. Going through the crossover will filter out a certain amount midrange and all the highs so you won't get distortion from the midbass even at lower power levels which your head unit would have.
The HD-6CF would hit but would still do better filtered because those other frequencies will get in there and cause distortion potentially. That's why I would do a component set in the doors vs. the other way. I would try that and see what you think first and then if you wanted to add another set you could but I think you'd be pleased with the above mentioned. What year is the Ranger or if you know what's in the door already I could come up with something that would work for you.
I have a cheapo Sony HU in my DD Blazer full size. It came with the truck. I got plenty of bass out of it using components. Using that type of setup and adjusting the EQ settings manually helped alot.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I would use a component set in the doors so that you can use the crossover to get the most bass response from the midbass without distortion. This way you can turn the bass up on the unit. I did this in my friends Corolla for the doors and it was hitting like crazy off the head unit with no amp. Going through the crossover will filter out a certain amount midrange and all the highs so you won't get distortion from the midbass even at lower power levels which your head unit would have.
The HD-6CF would hit but would still do better filtered because those other frequencies will get in there and cause distortion potentially. That's why I would do a component set in the doors vs. the other way. I would try that and see what you think first and then if you wanted to add another set you could but I think you'd be pleased with the above mentioned. What year is the Ranger or if you know what's in the door already I could come up with something that would work for you.
I have a cheapo Sony HU in my DD Blazer full size. It came with the truck. I got plenty of bass out of it using components. Using that type of setup and adjusting the EQ settings manually helped alot.
The thing is that it's a work vehicle, so whatever I do to it has to be able to be undone with minimum downtime. If I put components in the doors it could take a bit of time to get them out, which I need to avoid. If I put them behind the seats, I think I should be able to get them out much quicker. I can fit up to a 6.5inch behind the seat, so I'm not sure what other sizes would fit, I got that info off google.

I admit, I present a poor amount of info to work with, but it's my own fault as I have literally no experience with trucks, let alone ford rangers.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

I generally don't like them as much but for a temporary application that will sound good you could do a set of 6x9" coaxials in small enclosures behind the seats like the ones they make for Jeep Wranglers. They would be easy to remove, are readily available and would offer much improved bass performance overall. The problem becomes that you would be able to turn the bass up for the rear speakers because they could handle the added bass but the front ones would distort. You could always fade the sound to the back though to compensate.
CDT did just come out with some new 6x9" carbon fiber coaxials that are nice and not too pricey considering the quality. They would handle anything you throw at them. I've got 2 sets right now and will be installing one set in my Typhoon here shortly.
I would say use a midbass in the back as an option but you run into the same issue with distortion of the front speakers so at least this way if you faded it back you'd get full range sound from there and be able to remove them anytime you needed to with extreme ease.

Quick Reply: Some non F-Body help pls