Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

JL 6450 AMP Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default JL 6450 AMP Overheating

Does anyone else have one of these? I can barely go for 1 hour before it shuts itself down. Its pretty much untouchable its getting so hot. I have scheduled to have the place I bought it at "test" it to see if they can repro the problem. Just want to be able to say others have seen this also. The entire system is JL but the head unit which is a Kenwood kdc-mp922 nothing that should overwhelm the amp. Only real add on is the sirius tuner.

JL VR650CSi Front Speakers
JL VR650CXi Rear Speakers
JL e6450 AMP
JL W010 Sub with JL Sub Box Enclosure.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

What gauge power wire do you have it wired up with? Is your power and ground wire the same gauge? Where is the amp mounted? If mounted standing up is it facing the correct side up or is it mounted upside down?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The place installed the AMP and wiring. Amp is in the trunk ( i have a vert so its not sun heat, and trunks been cool inside when this is happening ) mounted correct side up.
Ground and Power are both 8 gage, power has a huge @ss fuse connected up in the front to the positive off the battery. The place is an authorized JL shop so I would "HOPE" they would put the correct gage wire in. Ground is screwed into the trunk metal, so that should be fine.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone Else ever see this?
Old 02-14-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

8 Gauge wire is too small and your amp is over working itself trying to draw through that small wire. Upgrade to 4 gauge power and ground and the problem should go away. Do it immediatly though because everytime your amp shuts off like that you have a better chance of doing some damage.