Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Airbag light is on, Steering wheel buttons and horn dont work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Airbag light is on, Steering wheel buttons and horn dont work.

Car is an 02 Trans Am. I bought it as a roller, and I knew that the previous owner had removed and reinstalled the dashboard to put the heater core back in..

So from the day I received the car, the steering wheel buttons and horn didnt work, and the air bag light is illuminated on the dash board. So without removing the steering wheel just yet, I am trying to see what to look for. It sounds like maybe something is unplugged? Or maybe broken clock spring (SIR coil). What do you guys think?

I tried to look up a price for a replacement SIR coil through the GM part number 26069709, but its not showing up.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

1) Check under the dash to make sure the airbag, controls, etc. are all plugged in at the connectors.

2) Take off the airbag and look at the connections. All three have connectors under the airbag.

3) If the above all look good, you'll have to take apart the column until you find the issue. (Its probably not your clock spring... unless one isn't installed.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html
Old 02-13-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your help. I was reading that the clock springs do go bad if the steering wheel is turned more 2.5 turns one way..Which may have happened when they pulled the dash board out.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Right, but the horn mechanism isn't related. (Just the airbag and radio controls.) So something else may be going on.

The horn hook-up threads through the clock spring, but is entirely separate.