Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

12v key on

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 12:27 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
WTF!? anybody else missing the terminal for the ACCY port?
Old thread I know, but when I wired up my dash cam, the ACCY spot is empty in my 2001 Formula as well. I only have IGN & BATT. I was searching and found this thread.

I wanted to use the ACCY port so the camera was on as soon as I unlocked the car and didn't turn off until after I locked the car. Since that port is missing, I used IGN instead. However, I think there is a power dip in the IGN port when cranking since the camera cuts out and it doesn't want to turn on again unless I un-plug and re-plug it. Power dip during crank is normal/common for older cars Probably some newer ones as well. I'm thinking of adding a capacitor or looking for an ACCY connection that maybe doesn't dip. Depending on how these cars are wired, I might need a capacitor anyway. However, that my be a larger cap than what I normally have at my bench. Or get/make a delayed turn-on circuit to have the power off until after X Seconds.

On my mustang, I changed the dome lights to LED (lower power draw and brighter) and wired the dash cam into that circuit since that runs on the accessory power. The dome light is up by the mirror inches from the camera. No dip there, but then the Mustang's starting circuit is computer controlled. Turning the key works like pushing the button on newer cars. It cranks immediately as soon as you turn it and holds the starter automatically for the right time. It isn't a manual control like older cars.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-18-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 12v key on