Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help With Speakers and BT

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Help With Speakers and BT

Hello, I am removing my factory radio and building a head unit setup for a large tablet to run Digital Gauges and data logging. I would like to know if there is a Bluetooth receiver I can wire up to my factory stereo wiring so I can stream my tablet to my factory speakers. Preferably looking for something small that I can tuck up inside the dash or mounted near passenger leg compartment and out of the way. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Are you installing a head unit or just putting a tablet in place of a head unit? Any modern head unit will have Bluetooth already so that wouldn't be an issue. Using just a tablet involves other important things like an amplifier (your speakers won't run well off the minute output of the tablet itself). And if you're going to install an amp then why would you use Bluetooth to connect your new tablet head unit rather than physical wiring (headphone jack)?

There are any number of Bluetooth dongles available which plug into an auxiliary input port (either headphone or RCA) of a head unit or amplifier to provide Bluetooth input to the system. They range from about $20 to $100 depending on features and whether they hard wire or require batteries. But again, the first question would be is that the best option for connections you want?
Old 08-10-2021, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did this a few years back with a smartphone but moved on when the car was no longer a daily and removed audio. This was an experiment that worked and most likely there’s a better way and products to do with it now.

Goal :
Connect Phone / Tablet to Amplifier via Bluetooth.
Bluetooth Dongle Connects to Amplifier which powers speakers.

Parts:
Rockford Fosgate PBR400x4D Punch
Alpine Speakers - Components and Coaxial pairs.
Scosche Bluetooth Receiver.

Challenges & Solutions:
  • Amp powered on soon as the car was turned on.
    I Wired the remote signal wire from the amp to fog light switch.
  • Bluetooth Receiver would turn on/off.
    I moved the Receiver from trunk to center console and connected to amp with RCA to 3.5 audio jack converter. This let me have access to BT Reciver.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I did this a few years back with a smartphone but moved on when the car was no longer a daily and removed audio. This was an experiment that worked and most likely there’s a better way and products to do with it now.

Goal :
Connect Phone / Tablet to Amplifier via Bluetooth.
Bluetooth Dongle Connects to Amplifier which powers speakers.

Parts:
Rockford Fosgate PBR400x4D Punch
Alpine Speakers - Components and Coaxial pairs.
Scosche Bluetooth Receiver.

Challenges & Solutions:
  • Amp powered on soon as the car was turned on.
    I Wired the remote signal wire from the amp to fog light switch.
  • Bluetooth Receiver would turn on/off.
    I moved the Receiver from trunk to center console and connected to amp with RCA to 3.5 audio jack converter. This let me have access to BT Reciver.
That sounds like it was an interesting project and it certainly makes sense to go with Bluetooth that way when you're connecting a phone or tablet that you will be taking with you. Nice job!

But when replacing a head unit with a mounted tablet which will remain in the car (as appears to be the case here), a wired connection will provide better reliability and sound quality, and will be easier to install and set up.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

So this wasn't a useless thread I'll post up what I did.

just built a bracket that utilizes existing radio mount bolts and attached that to a backing plate that fills the radio bezel gap and used a gun magnet to attach the tablet to. I use sticky magnetic metal strips from Amazon and stuck them on the tablet. Used a kenwood 400w amp mounted inside dash and run that with aux to rca with my tablet. Drilled a small hole drilled into backing plate behind the magnet for 90° aux cord. Now I get Sirius xm and I can BT my torque app. Didn't have to cut the bezel.. Completely removable and retained fogs.

Last edited by Bspeck82; 08-18-2021 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Very cool set up.

your post inspired me to get this going in my car again. This time around with 3D printed items.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's pretty neat. I bet you could whip something up to hold a 10" tablet and it should be secure even during full acceleration. Kind of like tesla style. I'm not sure if my 45lb magnets will hold a hard launch yet...
Old 08-19-2021, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks , I like your idea of gun magnets.
The torque app looks like a sweet set up especially the display on a tablet. I may need to get it as well.

At some point I will be working on a tablet mount that will take over the vents and fog light buttons just for fun. More applicable in an all out track car, mine is a Sunday driver.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

The torque app is pretty neat. It is cheap and it just works. There are some things I haven't been able to get working like oil pressure and fuel pressure, but my biggest concern was Temps, knock retard and fuel trims. Fuel pressure should be ran by a guage mounted outside imo anyways.

I bet you could build a bracket that secures a tablet from the top and bottom vertically and integrate a gun magnet to it. Then find a way to make it rotate. Then you can set any which way you want. Maybe design it to cover ac controls and fogs instead so you can still have some air. Wish I had a 3d printer, so many things I would try lol.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
The torque app is pretty neat. It is cheap and it just works. There are some things I haven't been able to get working like oil pressure and fuel pressure, but my biggest concern was Temps, knock retard and fuel trims. Fuel pressure should be ran by a guage mounted outside imo anyways.

I bet you could build a bracket that secures a tablet from the top and bottom vertically and integrate a gun magnet to it. Then find a way to make it rotate. Then you can set any which way you want. Maybe design it to cover ac controls and fogs instead so you can still have some air. Wish I had a 3d printer, so many things I would try lol.
That is good info to have access to. Which Bluetooth adapter is needed and do you unplug it when car is off to avoid any battery drain?

Let me ask you this , would torque app be able to replace all factory gauges if one really wanted?
I ask because next step be a screen in place of stock gauges.

I paid a local guy to create this set up for me so far. May get into it more with my own printer in winter.
For now , just driving in very little down time I get.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
That is good info to have access to. Which Bluetooth adapter is needed and do you unplug it when car is off to avoid any battery drain?

Let me ask you this , would torque app be able to replace all factory gauges if one really wanted?
I ask because next step be a screen in place of stock gauges.

I paid a local guy to create this set up for me so far. May get into it more with my own printer in winter.
For now , just driving in very little down time I get.
I use the bafx elm2 obd2. It goes to standby when the car is off.
The following users liked this post:
bad_408_vert (08-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Help With Speakers and BT