Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sound deadener on doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default sound deadener on doors

for those that have used the peel/stick type sheets of sound deadener on your doors, did you put it *inside* the door directly on the fiberglass? I did my Mustang years ago and I could easily reach every corner of the door skin but with my TA there's only 2-3 holes I can even fit my arm into and there's no way I can put several large sheets in it.

would it be better to put it on the door closest to the interior of the car?

also, would putting anything on the door panels themselves (the plastic/leather interior piece) help?

TIA
Old 03-19-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using sound deadening material on cars for a long time. However, I'm not very sure what you're asking...Are you concerned of deadening over door panel mounting holes???
Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put it on both the inner and outer door skins...you can cover the entire outer door skin even with the limited access. It isn't fun, but it is doable.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I put this stuff I got off ebay, cheap and works good. It is like a plastic foam sort of material. I'm happy with it. Check it out.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, used "Second Skin" deadener here and put it on both the inner skin and surface of door where the door panel mounts. Cut each piece into long thin strips and you can feed it to the inner skin through the access holes and then roll it on. Helps out a ton and the doors are the biggest area on our cars that need deadener.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Yup, used "Second Skin" deadener here and put it on both the inner skin and surface of door where the door panel mounts. Cut each piece into long thin strips and you can feed it to the inner skin through the access holes and then roll it on. Helps out a ton and the doors are the biggest area on our cars that need deadener.

Really? ..good to know. I always thought the trunk/ rear quarter panel area was where most of road noise was from.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Really? ..good to know. I always thought the trunk/ rear quarter panel area was where most of road noise was from.
The doors are right next to your ears...although the other areas pass a good deal of road noise, the doors will stand out the most due to their proximity to the driver.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Teching In

I just did the inside and out side with a layer of Raam Mat and then a layer of ensolite. Makes a world of difference.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I let my ears bleed, it relieves brain pressure.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:22 PM
dcm

Default Low Budget solution

If you are having some issue with the cost of dynamat, or my favorite cascade. It nice because you can use a heatgun and mold it directly to what ever metal surface you have and it looks sweet. You can always use the canned undercoating and coat the inside of the door panel (on the inside of the panel that faces towards the outside). be careful not to get it all over the window tracks or you will create on hell of a mess. I do like to at least cut some mat out and use it directly behind the speaker . I also really like to use the mat on the door panel side of the door. I aways try to make it a complete seal and leave tiny holes for door rods and actuator rods on door, otherwise sealed. It make a good moisture barrier. Know the undercoat can be done in several layers as you see fit. Just do get too carried away and you are good. Ive also used placstic and carpet under covering in a pinch and it works ok, but is kinda thick. Its good for the plactic fender well covers and just a few staples and your good. Thats another story. Hope that helps . Peace out

Quick Reply: sound deadener on doors