Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ordered a KD-R900 JVC H/U for $145!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011 | 10:43 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Default Ordered a KD-R900 JVC H/U for $145!!!

Got this puppy for $145 at Amazon! Next lowest price I could find anywhere on the internet was $199.

Anyway, it has 5volt pre-outs (f/r/s), TI/Burr-Brown 24-bit DAC, built-in BT (A2DP and AVRCP), Microphone, SAT Ready, HD Radio Ready, Remote, 30k possible colors, 2 Full speed USB inputs, Front Aux input, etc etc.

(non-sponsor link removed)

<EDIT>
They are $149 now at Amazon and Buy.com has them for $157 and SonicElec/Ebay are both $199.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-03-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2011 | 10:55 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

A YouTube link showing the various color options:

http://youtu.be/GwOEX2i867c
Old 05-03-2011 | 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

Looks nice. I really wish manufacturers would start INCLUDING HDRadio in the head units as opposed to "HDRadio Ready". I hate having to buy an extra external module for that feature.
Old 05-03-2011 | 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

I agree about the HD. I got a cheap HD radio for my Jeep and I got hooked. Now I wish I had spent a little more for a HD Kenwood for my Camaro. I might just have to take the hit and buy a new one.
Old 05-03-2011 | 08:23 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I agree about the HD. I got a cheap HD radio for my Jeep and I got hooked. Now I wish I had spent a little more for a HD Kenwood for my Camaro. I might just have to take the hit and buy a new one.
What hooked you on HD radio? I haven't heard/used it yet, so I have no idea what it really offers.
Old 05-03-2011 | 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

What do you mean you need to buy a module?
Old 05-03-2011 | 09:29 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
In order for the unit to receive HD Radio programming, it must have a KD-HD300 module to interface.

Old 05-03-2011 | 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cpo
What hooked you on HD radio? I haven't heard/used it yet, so I have no idea what it really offers.

I really don't like regular terrestrial radio and I've had Sat radio for almost eight years now. As you would expect, it sounds a lot better than Sat radio, plus I found a several HD stations that I like almost as much as Sat radio. For example, I found an old school rap station and an old school pop station (sad, but true) that I listen to more than the standard terrestrial stations. It also seems the HD stations don't play as many commercials as the regular stations and the DJs don't talk as much.
Old 05-04-2011 | 03:28 AM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

It's the same crap that manufacturers used to do in the early 2000's regarding HDTV. The majority of TV's sold back then were "HD Ready". This meant that HD content could NOT be viewed on the TV without an external HD source. If you wanted to watch free Over-The-Air channels (ex: Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS) you would need to purchase an expensive external HD box.

Today's TV sets are true HDTV's since they have the HD module BUILT-IN.

Unfortunately, the majority of head unit's these days don't include the HD module built into the unit. They want you to spend more money and buy an external module to use this feature.
Old 05-04-2011 | 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by cpo
If you're familiar with Over-The-Air (OTA) HDTV, then you know that TV stations broadcast sub-channels along with their primary ones.
For example, if Fox is channel 4.1, the station will broadcast additional programming on 4.2, 4.3. 4.4. So essentially you're getting more channels than you had before.

HD Radio works the same way. You will get additional programming on sub channels of your favorite FM/AM stations. It's also supposed to be CD quality sound.

The Pioneer head unit that I'm planning on purchasing is also HD Radio Ready. It's an extra $100 for the HD Radio module. Maybe it's worth it since there are no monthly subscription fees like XM or Sirius.
Old 05-04-2011 | 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

The HD in HD radio is simply a brand name - it is not an acronym for "High Definition" like it is with HDTV. The actual sound quality depends on how much money the station spent on upgrading and how many sub-channels they have. Almost all stations use a hybrid analog/digital data stream (so they don't lose listeners who don't have HD radio) so they usually broadcast a compressed digital signal at about 100kbps (although they can go as high as 150kbps if they have the power). This is better than analog FM and does not suffer from any background static or hiss but it is still not CD quality. HD radio is capable of 300kbps CD quality sound but only on a completely digital broadcast. Also, each sub-channel eats up some of the available bandwidth so the more sub-channels a station broadcasts, the lower the sound quality of each of them.
Old 05-04-2011 | 09:18 AM
Launching!

Subscribing. Let us know your impressions of this HU after you have some time with it. I've been eyeing one of these but there isn't a ton of reviews on them.
Old 05-04-2011 | 02:03 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikey67
Subscribing. Let us know your impressions of this HU after you have some time with it. I've been eyeing one of these but there isn't a ton of reviews on them.
Will do.
Old 05-04-2011 | 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Seems like s decent HU for the money
Old 05-04-2011 | 06:52 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Seems like s decent HU for the money
Trust me, this thing goes well beyond decent. Just the 5 volt pre-outs (f/r/s) is hard to find, even in units costing 2-3 times the price. Throw in the Burr-Brown A/D 24-bit converter, and you'll be hard pressed to hear a difference between this unit and literally any other car stereo on the market.....not counting Pioneers top $1000+ model which has 4 of those Burr-Browns. (post-processing not included either)

Last edited by cpo; 05-04-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2011 | 01:18 PM
Banned

It is a great head unit. I have used these in the past many times and they have excellent sound quality and lots of multimedia functions. Alot of the JVC units do. They are a great value and most JVC models change color to match the interior illumination of any vehicle. They also have several models that have HD radio built in with no external module needed.
Old 05-05-2011 | 05:14 PM
Launching!

it was too good of a deal to pass up i just ordered on of these myself ive read nothing but good reviews about this HU ...

ill have it saturday so ill let you guys know how it goes
Old 05-07-2011 | 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

I just picked one of these up last week for my neighbor's 1969 Road Runner. The 5V pre-amp outlets was really the selling point for me. It has a good interface, I haven't really messed with it a lot but from what I have seen, I like it.
Old 05-08-2011 | 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

I'm a newb to stereo - why is 5volt pre-amp good and how will it benefit me?
Old 05-09-2011 | 07:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

I'm a newb to stereo - why is 5volt pre-amp good and how will it benefit me?
In strict audio terms, the higher voltage isn't necessary or even desirable but cars are a difficult environment for audio partly because of all the other electrical systems in close proximity. For car audio, the higher voltage (along with lower impedance speakers) increases current which helps reduce or eliminate electrical noise in the system. Proper shielding and routing of cables can achieve the same thing but it's just easier with higher voltage.