Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I Think Its Time.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I Think Its Time.

I think its time to replace the stock amp thats in the back of the car in front of the spare tire. for some weird reason, my radio goes on and off, on and off, and goes completely off, 2 minutes later it works again. Could this be the stock amp causing it to this? everything else is hooked up fine. What can it be? Have any of you ever replaced the stock amp with something better? Pics welcome.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the BCM. Do the windows still work when the radio turns off? Try and check that as I didn't realize the windows were not working when the radio turned off until I tried them one day while it was happening. The BCM is the most likely culprit and is a free fix.

If you still need another amp I have several very good ones that will work for you and run the whole system from one amp like stock but with much more power and clarity.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im gonna sound like a noob, but what does BCM mean? The windows work somewhat ok. Motors will need replacing in the next month or two. What can I do in the mean while to prevent this from happening?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

BCM = Body Control Module. The BCM controls the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit (among many other things) that allows the radio and windows to keep working after the ignition is switched off until a door is opened. A common problem is broken solder joints on the BCM circuit board that causes interruptions to the RAP circuit making the radio and windows stop working. This is entirely separate from the problems cause by worn out window motors - it cuts off all power to the windows and radio.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

So what can I do? Is there a place where I can take it etc?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You could do a search for "BCM solder fix" - there's a thread on here that has photos and complete instructions on how to fix the broken solder joints. If you've ever done any soldering, it's an easy and free fix.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

no, never done it. I might have to find out someone that can do it.