Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

AVH-4300/CDT install thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Pioneer, Kenwood, and JVC would be my top picks. The JVC and Pioneer units are great bang for the buck. I am not a big fan of Sony. I used one of there nicer units that came in my DD truck and I was not impressed with the sound at all. I have a JVC in there now and it sounds great. Been using JVC for years in my vehicles. I do like Pioneer though but they have a more processed sound to me. I like to have a more natural sound and add to it if I need to.
The EQ function is a 10 band I think? I remember it was a large EQ not your basic high mid low. Anyway it works very well and is easy to access along with the other menus is very easy to operate and works well.
Good to know. I had a sony HU back a few years ago (maybe 6-7 years) and it was an Xplod model. Not going to lie, I bought it because it looked cool and at the time that was very important to me (16 years old...). I liked it for what it was, but wasn't a big fan of the preset equalizer and lack of custom settings. I've heard they've gotten much better in the past few years.

I have an alpine now in my daily driver. It's probably a 2 year old HU, and to this day suprises me of all its capabilities and features. Was a $250 HU at the time so it was a pretty nice one and has really held up quite well. I really like alpine, but their prices on in dash dvd/nav units is quite out of my set price range. I'm looking for somethung under $500, preferably new, must have ipod cable/usb dock, bluetooth, and a customizable equalizer.

LilJay - Glad to hear you've got her back up in full service. Can't wait to get mine finally done!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad you are enjoying it. The cool thing is it will still sound like that years from now. I had a similar setup in my Trans Am. I no longer own the car but the current owner still has the same system in it and does not want to change a thing. That system has been in there for 4 years and it had been put through it's paces doing demonstrations and competitions. Never had to change much. Just upgraded the front speakers to see what the other ones sounded like and changed the subs a few times to see if I could make bigger numbers.
Something about a loud clear audio system on the right song that gets em going. Music emits emotion alot. Like when you hear that favorite song on the radio and your right foot gets into the gas. I always say you have to have the performance side of it in a car like this but you also have to have your tunes. To me both are important to have.
Vengeance Racing did most of the work on my Trans Am so it was of course a beast. I had the audio system in it to back up the performance as well.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Good to know. I had a sony HU back a few years ago (maybe 6-7 years) and it was an Xplod model. Not going to lie, I bought it because it looked cool and at the time that was very important to me (16 years old...). I liked it for what it was, but wasn't a big fan of the preset equalizer and lack of custom settings. I've heard they've gotten much better in the past few years.

I have an alpine now in my daily driver. It's probably a 2 year old HU, and to this day suprises me of all its capabilities and features. Was a $250 HU at the time so it was a pretty nice one and has really held up quite well. I really like alpine, but their prices on in dash dvd/nav units is quite out of my set price range. I'm looking for somethung under $500, preferably new, must have ipod cable/usb dock, bluetooth, and a customizable equalizer.

LilJay - Glad to hear you've got her back up in full service. Can't wait to get mine finally done!
The thing about it is that you can get a $150.00-$200.00 JVC unit or Pioneer for that matter that will perform as well as a $250.00 Alpine. Will probably sound as good or better with the 24bit Burr Brown processor as well.
I really like the JVC KW-AVX640, 740 and 840 which if you use an iPhone you can add navigation to for free with the X-Motion ap on your iPhone that will display the navigation from the phone on the screen. 640 and 740 also have removable face plates.
Pioneer AVH-P2300, P3300BT (built in blue tooth) and the 4300DVD are all very good units as well especially for the money.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

I was really impressed by the 4300 for everything you get and the price. I don't need navigation, bluetooth or a camera but it's cool it's capable of doing it. It also has outputs so you can add other Tv's to it.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Does anyone know if the auto EQ feature on the 4300 is anygood? I was reading about it in the manual and I was wanting some input before I went and bought the mic for it.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

The auto EQ feature does work and is similar to the Alpine units that do that. IMO if you have a good ear you can tune it just as well. Half the people that I have talked to that use it or have used it did it then changed the settings later anyway.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder if it is the same type of mic used in home theater receivers with Audissey or YPAO? If it is, you may be able to borrow one from someone, as they are pretty common. They use a standard 3.5mm jack.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's a good point. I have the Audessey mic from my home theater system.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
After the wife went to sleep tonight I decided to work on the car.
LOL, seems like you're like me - the only time I get to work on my Camaro/Jeep is when the wifey is sleep, which usually means about 12 midnight.

Nice work. I'd like to do the sound matting in the future. I bet it makes the car sound more solid, especially the doors.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Bumping this. Liljay, can I get a pic of the HU installed in the car? A night shot with it on and everything would be ******* sweet as well, I can't shake this feeling that some time down the road I will be copying your exact setup. I was never a huge fan of the appearance of double din HU but something about all of this kinda swayed me a bit, just wanna see some day/night pics to confirm
Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I will grab one tonight when I get home and one in the morning. I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to put the rest of the interior back together.

One of the many cool features about the H/U is you can change the background color of the buttons. I have mine set to red to match the factory gauge colors.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here ya go. I will get some daytime pics tomorrow. You might have to remind me.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That is ******* joocy. Beautiful, do want
Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wish we could those daytime pics... I'm ready to buy mine...
Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Told ya you would have to remind me. Sorry about that. I've been busy at work.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's not a very good pic. I will get a better one tomorrow.

I got the interior back in it today finally. Everything except the center console. The car doesn't feel like a big POS like it has been.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like it was meant to be there! One of these days I might get around to doing a sound system build in my car but I have a feeling that with almost 150,000 miles on the car that stuff is going to start and that's probably what I should be focused on right now in terms of money.

Besides my Alpine IDA-X100 does everything I need it to do and those CDTs up front and Bazooka subs showed me just how good a properly set up sound system can sound. Beats the pants off a bose system. :

Do those radios do RDS as well?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry, don't know what RDS is.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good...time for me to pull the trigger. I had been wanting an upgrade from my jensen and just so happens my car got broken into Monday night and guess what got stolen. Glad it was my Four year old $250 jensen. Upgrading security system too.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ How'd they go about breaking in?

Quick Reply: AVH-4300/CDT install thread