Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HELP!!! Short somewhere in Radio...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004 | 07:51 PM
TECH Resident
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Question HELP!!! Short somewhere in Radio...

Ok i'll try to keep this short and simple, so bear with me. This is the stock Monsoon system.

Back in June my radio started blowing fuses. #17 Radio- BCM, Radio, amp, Steering wheel controls, to be exact. A new fuse would last between 5 seconds to a few hours. Finally i pulled my head unit out to check the connections (Aug). Everything looked ok so i moved the wires around a little bit and put it back. My stereo didnt blow anymore fuses for 4 months (Dec). Stroke of luck?

Now its back to its old tricks again. Blowing the same fuse #17 whenever it wants. Tomorrow im going to try and find the problem AGAIN. I think the short lies somewhere in the head unit itself, or connections.

So if anyone has any suggestions of what to look for, or what to do, or procedures to go through, or ever experienced this... Please help. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

try a bigger fuse?
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
try a bigger fuse?
That was one of the first things i tried. It didnt work. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Please don not try a bigger fuse that would allow excessive current to flow , possibly burning your wiring.

when you pull out the head unit, closely inspect ALL the wires, I have seen a few cases where the insulation on the wire will rub against the metal parts on the dash and the insulation will wear off thus creating a direct short to ground.
Old 02-28-2004 | 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thinking about what ^ he said. Ive seen GM decks have wires with absolutely no insulation. You should check ALL of your fuses first.
Old 02-29-2004 | 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Okay im not too radio savvy.

What is this black box connected to my radio? I dont think its stock. I found it laying down in an opening in the back. The second picture is of o wire underneath my passenger seat. What is that from?
Attached Thumbnails HELP!!! Short somewhere in Radio...-rfwire.jpg   HELP!!! Short somewhere in Radio...-blackbox.jpg  
Old 02-29-2004 | 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like someone had an aftermarket system installed at one time.The black box looks like the PAC Steering Wheel Control Unit for aftermarket head units.It allows the use of the Steering wheel controls when using aftermarket head units.That would explain you blowing fuses and such.Looked at where it splices in and remove it.The big black cable looks like it was a ground for an amplifier.
Old 02-29-2004 | 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks LSWONTA!

I'll give it a shot, and see what happens.