Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Im getting a Stelth box

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i work in a stereo shop man and out of those two options i'd recommend kickers 10" or 12" CVT sub. those speakers are 400 watts rms/800 watts max and they are made for very small enclosures. they were actually designed for single cab and extended cab truck boxes b/c of the limited airspace. IMO i think it would sound great in there.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ws6outlaw
i work in a stereo shop man and out of those two options i'd recommend kickers 10" or 12" CVT sub. those speakers are 400 watts rms/800 watts max and they are made for very small enclosures. they were actually designed for single cab and extended cab truck boxes b/c of the limited airspace. IMO i think it would sound great in there.
Of course you would. Because they are a big brand that a stereo shop can sell to customers. Their amps are good but not worth the money, and their subwoofers are 'ehhhhhh' at BEST. I can name subwoofers that can outperform Kicker in both sound quality (quantification: lower distortion) AND output capability. TC Sounds LMS anything (e.g. LMS 5400, LMS Ultra, LMS-R), Exodus Audio Shiva-X2, Tempest-X2, Creative Sound Solutions SDX15, etc.

There is not a single mainstream subwoofer brand that I would call very good. Some are pretty good. Probably the closest are JL Audio and JBL (for the WGTi series). But neither one produces a very low distortion subwoofer with good output - including the JL W7. They're both overhung with very parabolic BL curves that create more distortion than something with LMS or XBL^2 or similar technology.

Not trying to sound like an ***... but there's a whole world of car audio equipment that you're totally unfamiliar with out there.

Last edited by dragonrage; 07-27-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Not trying to sound like an ***...
You just did.

Sorry I couldn't help myself, I had to be that guy.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Of course you would. Because they are a big brand that a stereo shop can sell to customers. Their amps are good but not worth the money, and their subwoofers are 'ehhhhhh' at BEST. I can name subwoofers that can outperform Kicker in both sound quality (quantification: lower distortion) AND output capability. TC Sounds LMS anything (e.g. LMS 5400, LMS Ultra, LMS-R), Exodus Audio Shiva-X2, Tempest-X2, Creative Sound Solutions SDX15, etc.

There is not a single mainstream subwoofer brand that I would call very good. Some are pretty good. Probably the closest are JL Audio and JBL (for the WGTi series). But neither one produces a very low distortion subwoofer with good output - including the JL W7. They're both overhung with very parabolic BL curves that create more distortion than something with LMS or XBL^2 or similar technology.

Not trying to sound like an ***... but there's a whole world of car audio equipment that you're totally unfamiliar with out there.
Saying there's a whole world of car audio out there that I'm not familiar with is a little presumptuous don't you think? Sure I know of lots of better subs but that's not really what the guy asked. I told him what I thought between the 2 brands he asked about. And kicker subs don't sound that bad with properly built enclosures. But of course that's my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. Even if he went With good main stream subs like jl audio they're prices for they're subs are unreasonably expensive. 2 10" w7's cost around $800.

You should be a little more considerate when responding to a post. I'm not trying to sell this guy anything just offer my opinion as a stereo shop worker who's sold and installed systems for over 10 years. I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means. I'm not that pompous to be honest. But I'm not totally ignorant either. There's no need to be so vehement in a simple thread. Just tell the guy your opinion about what he asks and go on.