Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What speakers do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Why the JL hate? Am i missing something?

I have ran alot of subs and amps in the past and my JL amp was the best. I had one 10 inch W7 and was more than satisfied with its production.

I think kicker makes good door speakers, and i also want to try the CDT's.

JL is one of the BEST on the market if not THE BEST it's just we have someone here who seems to want to debate this rather than just listening to other peoples opinion. Like I said i have JL in my Civic and when i have the money to put one in my Camaro i will.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1121
JL is one of the BEST on the market if not THE BEST it's just we have someone here who seems to want to debate this rather than just listening to other peoples opinion. Like I said i have JL in my Civic and when i have the money to put one in my Camaro i will.
No, it's a pretty good brand that is way overrated. There is NO JL "hate" here but they are overpriced for what you get, and even if you want "THE BEST" and don't consider money, they are STILL not it. But that does not mean that I said or that I think they suck. You can build a very good system with them.

Why does not agreeing that a brand is the best equal hate? Stop being childish.

Last edited by dragonrage; 08-12-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dragonrage
No, it's a pretty good brand that is way overrated. There is NO JL "hate" here but they are overpriced for what you get, and even if you want "THE BEST" and don't consider money, they are STILL not it. But that does not mean that I said or that I think they suck. You can build a very good system with them.

Why does not agreeing that a brand is the best equal hate? Stop being childish.
It doesn't but the OP asked "What speakers do you run"

Why did you have to comment negatively on What I Like?

and Did I bash your opinions? childish..........hmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Stop being so damn offended. This is a forum for discussion. We're discussing options. Surprise, not everyone agrees with you! What other brands have you even tried? I've tried all sorts of equipment in my own car, and heard lots more in the cars of others. I'm not "bashing" you. I am discussing.

Last edited by dragonrage; 08-12-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Stop being so damn offended. This is a forum for discussion. We're discussing options. Surprise, not everyone agrees with you! What other brands have you even tried? I've tried all sorts of equipment in my own car, and heard lots more in the cars of others. I'm not "bashing" you. I am discussing.
I started installing sound systems in car in 1978 yes way back when Craig was a popular brand. How about you?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1121
I started installing sound systems in car in 1978 yes way back when Craig was a popular brand. How about you?
I honestly don't care, because what was good/popular in 1978 has nothing to do with what's good now. In fact, what's popular now has nothing to do with what's good now. I firmly believe that people buy JL only because of the name. There is nothing special about them - not even the W7. They are a decent brand priced like they are the best, which they are not.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

I was just wondering how long i can keep you going like this. LOL
Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...if I may chime in. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this. I would like to just replace the front two speakers, since those are the damaged ones. But I am concerned about two new speakers in the front and two old ones in the back making the sound very weird, or just plain bad in the whole car.

Also, I'm not looking to spend a lot, so the very best brand probably isn't an option for me. I just want a decently priced one that has a good reputation, not perfect, just better than the stock monsoon.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
So...if I may chime in. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this. I would like to just replace the front two speakers, since those are the damaged ones. But I am concerned about two new speakers in the front and two old ones in the back making the sound very weird, or just plain bad in the whole car.

Also, I'm not looking to spend a lot, so the very best brand probably isn't an option for me. I just want a decently priced one that has a good reputation, not perfect, just better than the stock monsoon.
I put Infinity in my front doors the old version 62.7i is a direct fit, having 2 plug in's just the original but thety are Very difficult to find. I got mine on ebay I think i paid about $75 for the pair and they sound real good. I'm not a rap thumper and don't need the guy 4 cars down to hear my music so they are Great for me. For the rear deck if that is what you are talking about I put a small set of Sony speakers because those are just kinda for fill. Some will say you don't need them but I want them.

Last edited by LS1121; 08-12-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

All my speakers are Alpine Type-R's and I'm running an Alpine amp with them. Had them since 2006 and for speakers, they slap pretty hard(don't want subs). I've never had any problems with them either.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

lol why don't you try buying alpines speakers that aren't the cheapest bottom of the barrel model available? The type S speakers are total crap. The Type r's are really good for the money in my opinion.

I haven't explored many options with speakers and I'm not a Alpine fanboy by any means. But out of the brands I've used (MTX, pioneer, alpine, infinity) so far the best sounding have been the type R speakers and subwoofers.

Originally Posted by Stocker94z
THIS x2

Also Alpine seems like junk. I've blown to sets of Alpine Type-S speakers with no bass I have my HPF set at 125hz. My buddy blew his set too. Never again will I buy any speakers from Alpine. Subs? Yes. Amps? Hell yeah. Speakers? Nope. Headunits? Yes.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone had any experience with Rockford Fostgate speakers?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys, forget the title of the thread. The man wants a decent value set of speakers that drop right in his Camaro. If what you're suggesting isn't a set of convertible or coaxial mounted components, then please... enough with the brand wars. Junk or pure gold... ALPINE DOES NOT MAKE A CONVERTIBLE COMPONENT 6.5"!!! See my earlier post on brands that actually have a model that will FIT easily. If I'm wrong about Alpine's model line-up, someone please link me the model I don't know about.

Whiteknight, again I'm going to suggest CDT CL-61CVs. Do a search on them, hundreds of forum members can't all be wrong. If anyone else suggests buying a brand or model that will not mount the tweeter correctly in your application, ignore them. "Caveat Emptor".

You did yourself a disservice with the title of this thread, consider re-naming it "What speakers are decent that will mount right up in my Camaro?" Not "Who SUCKZORZ vs Who RULZ?"

And don't worry about the hatch speakers, they don't need to "match up" with your doors to sound just fine.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Capricio
Guys, forget the title of the thread. The man wants a decent value set of speakers that drop right in his Camaro. If what you're suggesting isn't a set of convertible or coaxial mounted components, then please... enough with the brand wars. Junk or pure gold... ALPINE DOES NOT MAKE A CONVERTIBLE COMPONENT 6.5"!!! See my earlier post on brands that actually have a model that will FIT easily. If I'm wrong about Alpine's model line-up, someone please link me the model I don't know about.

Whiteknight, again I'm going to suggest CDT CL-61CVs. Do a search on them, hundreds of forum members can't all be wrong. If anyone else suggests buying a brand or model that will not mount the tweeter correctly in your application, ignore them. "Caveat Emptor".

You did yourself a disservice with the title of this thread, consider re-naming it "What speakers are decent that will mount right up in my Camaro?" Not "Who SUCKZORZ vs Who RULZ?"

And don't worry about the hatch speakers, they don't need to "match up" with your doors to sound just fine.
Thank you for clearing up the brand wars, you're right, I just want a decent speaker to drop in and replace my crappy blown ones. I will try to rename it after I pos this.

You said don't worry about the hatch speakers, but what about the speakers in the back seat? If i remember right, my car has two in the front, two in the backseat, and two in the hatch. But thanks for the advice.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

What do you mean by "convertible" component 6.5"? Alpine has plenty of component 6.5" speakers. Why would he want component speakers in the first place? The speakers in his car are coaxles aren't they? I thought TA's were the only ones with tweeters. I guess I'm misunderstanding.

To the OP - Dude, I will sell you my brand new spare set of Alpine Type R 6.5" co axles for 75 bucks. If they are not everything you want and more, I will gladly refund your money.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hufGZJF...-SPR-17LP.html

Old 08-13-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WK, read the monsoon FAQ, or at least the parts up to the wiring pin-outs. The sail panel speakers are just for bass, small subs. The hatch speakers are purely for "fill", to make it seem as if the sound isn't purely directional from the door channels. They don't need to blend perfectly with the front channels to have that effect. Some people even delete them, if that says anything about their significance. You will likely tilt your fader forward in any case.

Since the sail panel cones are purely for (mid) bass, and since the stock Monsoon amp has an internal low pass filter, you can adjust their proportional output with your HU's bass level control. Between your fader and your bass level, you will have the amount of adjustment you need to account for any difference in sensitivity that any new "off brand" speaker introduces. I think that is what you seem concerned about... don't worry, you can compensate for it easily and the whole thing will blend together nicely, even if you only replace the door speakers.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Banned

WK, read the monsoon FAQ, or at least the parts up to the wiring pin-outs. The sail panel speakers are just for bass, small subs. The hatch speakers are purely for "fill", to make it seem as if the sound isn't purely directional from the door channels. They don't need to blend perfectly with the front channels to have that effect. Some people even delete them, if that says anything about their significance. You will likely tilt your fader forward in any case.

Since the sail panel cones are purely for (mid) bass, and since the stock Monsoon amp has an internal low pass filter, you can adjust their proportional output with your HU's bass level control. Between your fader and your bass level, you will have the amount of adjustment you need to account for any difference in sensitivity that any new "off brand" speaker introduces. I think that is what you seem concerned about... don't worry, you can compensate for it easily and the whole thing will blend together nicely, even if you only replace the door speakers.
Thank you for that very informative post, that makes me feel better about only replacing the door speakers.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iWon
What do you mean by "convertible" component 6.5"? Alpine has plenty of component 6.5" speakers. Why would he want component speakers in the first place? The speakers in his car are coaxles aren't they? I thought TA's were the only ones with tweeters. I guess I'm misunderstanding.
From the FAQ:

"Camaro coupes have component 6.5S 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted coaxially in the doors (they look like ordinary coax speakers but are actually wired as separate components), single voice coil 6.5S 2-ohm subs in the sail panels, and 4" 4-ohm full-range speakers in the hatch area. All eight elements are powered by the amp."

...that took me like 20 seconds to find, btw. Sorry I'm just in a bad mood and get irritated when people come for help and get steered in a direction that will make them mistrust the forums later on.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

...and by "convertible", I mean the tweeter component can physically be mounted inside the larger woofer component, in a coaxial POSITION while still remaining a true COMPONENT speaker with the tweeter receiving it's own speaker wires and relying on an external high-pass filter. ...or alternatively, you can physically DETACH the tweeter component and mount it AWAY from the woofer component, or CONVERT it.

The term coaxial speaker vs coaxial positioned component is confusing. Typically, a coaxial speaker implies only one set of speaker wires drives the woofer and the tweeter, and speaker relies on an internal high-pass filter built into the speaker. This is NOT the case for the Camaro.

Coaxial speakers are GENERALLY cheaper than component speakers and of lower quality. There are threads on the forum that demonstrate how to separate the tweeter portion of a cheaper coaxial speaker and drive it with it's own amp channel like a component, but that's getting off into the weeds and I think WK just wants a simple straightforward installation.

Last edited by Capricio; 08-14-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01

Check out Kee i believe he has a monsoon replacement package. Not sure as my car does not have the monsoon package. And most people seem to be very happy with them.

Also i wasn't being sensitive or thinking anyone was "hating" on me, i was actually curious if one of you guys had any technical data on what maybe be a drawback or flaw in JL's design and/or manufacturing, maybe my word choice was poor, but i am still curious about this.

Sorry for the thread Hijack!

Last edited by My6speedZ; 08-15-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: What speakers do you run?