Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What speakers do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What speakers do you run?

Right now I am running the stock speakers in my car. But the front left and front right speakers are blown, I think. They sound fine with no bass, but when I turn the bass up they start to make that cracking sound, sounds awful.

Anyways, was looking for some tips on what a good brand of speaker to replace them with is. I don't want anything super loud, I'm not the person who goes around playing loud rap music with a huge bass. I just want a good quality sounding stereo system. Specs on speakers would be helpful too.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't particularly find specs on stock... If you want a decent upgrade without going crazy, Alpine and Polk are common brands. I personally would probably go for MB Quart if I wanted a budget speaker. They aren't as good a brand as they once were, but they are still good for the money.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can find a generation or two older new JL speakers on ebay that get sold off from the authorized dealers when they get the new stuff. However, they are not on the same level as the authorized dealers when it comes to warranty issues and things like that. (got a brand new JL amp when i fired mine and it was completely my fault no questions asked)

Kee audio is a sponsor on here that sells replacment packages for our cars.

I have had experience with Polk (good), Kicker (better), Infinity (decent but priced good), and JL ( best i have used) component and 2-way speakers.

The kicker speakers are a good compromise you will be happy with them. But just goto a mobile audio store and spend some time listening to them, you'll make a decision.

focus on the front speakers, and if your doing them all you can sacrifice some on the rear speakers (infinity, xplode, ect.) with better speakers (kicker, focal, JL) in the front. Although better speakers in the rear will yield better mid-bass if you need it.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 08-09-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added information
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Eh, JL is really mediocre and overpriced. I don't recommend them.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If we're talking about door speakers for a camaro, keep in mind you're probably going to want a convertible or coaxially mounted set of component speakers. Not too many companies make convertible 6.5" components. Unless you're willing to deal with mounting the tweeter in a fashion unlike the OEM speakers, your options are limited.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dragonrage
THIS x2

Also Alpine seems like junk. I've blown to sets of Alpine Type-S speakers with no bass I have my HPF set at 125hz. My buddy blew his set too. Never again will I buy any speakers from Alpine. Subs? Yes. Amps? Hell yeah. Speakers? Nope. Headunits? Yes.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MB Quart, CDT, Cerwin-Vega, Powerbass, JL, Kicker, Imagine... That's about all I could find with a quick google search.

As far as I know, Polk, Alpine, Infinity, etc aren't even (easy) options, so really not worth the discussion in so far the OP's question was concerned.

FWIW, lots of people on this forum use CDT CL61CV's, including me, and give them very favorable reviews. They are offered by at least two sponsors of the board are priced well for what they are.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Infinity in the doors, ED subs in the sails and Sony in the rear deck area. Sounds much better than stock. I have a JL Audio set up in my Civic, speakers and 6 channel amp with an 8" sub in a box. JL is a Good choice if you have the money or can get a Great price on ebay. I REALLY want to put a JL 6 channel amp in my Z28.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1121
Infinity in the doors, ED subs in the sails and Sony in the rear deck area. Sounds much better than stock. I have a JL Audio set up in my Civic, speakers and 6 channel amp with an 8" sub in a box. JL is a Good choice if you have the money or can get a Great price on ebay. I REALLY want to put a JL 6 channel amp in my Z28.
It would be almost impossible for me to disagree with this more.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Teching In

i have Image Dynamics in my Trans Am
Old 08-09-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrmathis
i have Image Dynamics in my Trans Am
It was a good company until they went under recently...
Old 08-09-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
It would be Impossible for me to disagree with this more!!!

yes me too.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Stocker94z
THIS x2

Also Alpine seems like junk. I've blown to sets of Alpine Type-S speakers with no bass I have my HPF set at 125hz. My buddy blew his set too. Never again will I buy any speakers from Alpine. Subs? Yes. Amps? Hell yeah. Speakers? Nope. Headunits? Yes.
My stereo also chewed up a set of these Alpines in a short time.

The only set of speakers I've had for longer than two years is my Current Memphis MC-S6's. Still crystal clear and great definition.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

What are the exact specs and dimensions of the speakers I should be looking for?

Also, if I replace just the front two speakers, since those are the only damaged ones, they will be aftermarket replacements. Will the mix of new aftermarket speakers in the front sound odd with the old stock speakers in the back?

I do have the monsoon stereo system in my car, FYI.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Veteran

^ 6.5's on all 4. The back backs are 4x6, IIRC.

And replacing the fronts will be fine until you feel like replacing the backs. You hear the fronts a little more anyway.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky. It's not just a question of speaker size... the speakers have unique wiring and signal characteristics that make replacement speaker selection more complicated than just picking up any set of 6.5" coaxial speakers.

BTW, the hatch speakers are 4" round.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
My stereo also chewed up a set of these Alpines in a short time.
Type S are junk. If you go Alpine, you need to get Type R or Type X. Not that Alpine is ever great, but at least those two aren't junk.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky. It's not just a question of speaker size... the speakers have unique wiring and signal characteristics that make replacement speaker selection more complicated than just picking up any set of 6.5" coaxial speakers.

BTW, the hatch speakers are 4" round.
Good God! I took one look at the FAQ on Monsoon. I'll have to read that later when I have more time. You wrote a freaking book.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Good God! I took one look at the FAQ on Monsoon. I'll have to read that later when I have more time. You wrote a freaking book.
True... it is rather lengthy. But I tried to include as much information as possible so that anyone could get answers without having to wait for a response to a question in the forums.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why the JL hate? Am i missing something?

I have ran alot of subs and amps in the past and my JL amp was the best. I had one 10 inch W7 and was more than satisfied with its production.

I think kicker makes good door speakers, and i also want to try the CDT's.

Quick Reply: What speakers do you run?