Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

KEE AUDIO, need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KEE AUDIO, need help!!!

I just got my hands on 2 12" mtx jackhammer subs, a jh600 mtx amp and a ported mtx enclosure. I have a few questions.

1.) It looks like the wires have been soldered onto the subs hook ups. Is it ok to cut the wires to get the subs outta the box?

2.) What size wiring kit do I need? The guy I got it off said he was using 4 guage.

3.) Do you offer a enclosure that provides t-top storage? Only place I saw one was from subthump for $270.

4.) What would be a good price for the ported mtx enclosure since I will not need it for my car?

This will be going in my 2000 Formula. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Your picture of the sub itself is uselessly blurry. You can cut the wires and use butt connectors to crimp more wire to them if necessary - alternatively, the terminal in the box may use quick connects that haven't been soldered that you can pull. However, if that setup is wired for low impedance (depending on what the amp wants) like 1 ohm or 2 ohms then the wire used looks a bit thin. Subwoofers should be wired with 12 gauge or better. For my 1250w amp, I use 10 gauge wire. If this were a 4 ohm setup then there'd be more leniency for reasons that I don't feel like explaining... but this is probably not wired for 4 ohms.

2) 4 gauge is good if even very slightly overkill. But 8 gauge is too small. So either source some 5-6 gauge welding wire if you want to save a few bucks (and yes, 5 gauge wire does exist) or just use 4 gauge. Note that if you buy one of the cheapie Ebay 4 gauge kits, the wire will be more like 6 gauge, anyway.

4) Used generic boxes aren't worth much, so expect no more than $50 for it. Even $50 might be pushing it.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

The guy had this setup in his jimmy, it sounded pretty good. I can't pull the wires off the sub so they have to be soldered on. Whats your opinion on the amp and subs? Im pretty sure he toild me he had them wired at 1 ohm but im not sure on that.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really not a fan of MTX subs. I wouldn't call them garbage, but they wouldn't even be on the list of subs I'd consider. That said, most people would be happy with them, so don't feel the need to dump them if you like them. Even if you don't love them, you can always use them for now and upgrade later. MTX amps I have heard good things about but I've never run one.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much agree with everything he said^^. You could always just use a soldering iron to unsolder the connections. A cheap soldering iron costs about $3.00 and will make quick work without having to cut anything. You can cut them though.
The Subthump box is the only one that has T-top storage and is a nice enclosure...actually overkill for those subs...but that will get it done.
I have some good 4ga kits if you need one that are about $35.00.
I use 12ga on most sub installs unless it is something larger then I use 10ga. I have plenty of that around as well.
That am is not rated for 1ohm use...it is not 1ohm stable so if he was running it at that impedance make sure that amp is not damaged. It is only 2ohm stable @ 600watts RMS.
Just judging by the picture you have there of the sub it looks as if he was running 2ohm load on the amp because each sub looks to be a single voice coil 4ohm sub which ran in parallel would make a 2ohm load which is fine for that amp.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

ok sounds good, could you post me a link up for the 4 guage wire. I will paypal it to you tomorrow when i get home from work.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS9 Formula
ok sounds good, could you post me a link up for the 4 guage wire. I will paypal it to you tomorrow when i get home from work.
Shoot me an email with your Paypal address and I will send you a money request. I have the new model AK4 amp kit that just came out and has a better fuse and some other upgrades.
keeaudio@bellsouth.net
Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

ok i will do that tomorrow evening after 5. thanks

i went ahead and sent my paypal address. how much will shipping be? 41647

Last edited by WS9 Formula; 08-17-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

if i go ahead and send u the 35 for the ak4 kit will that cover shipping?