Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

MTX Thunderform sub?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTX Thunderform sub?

Just looking to get some reviews. Was thinking of getting the MTX Thunderform stealth enclosure with 10" amplified sub. Specs:

•Single 10" Thunder4500 Subwoofer
•Power Handling: ◦Peak: 450 watts
◦RMS: 225 watts
•Impedance:4 Ohms
•Aluminum polypropylene cone
•Foam surround
•35oz. Strontium Magnet
•MTX Audio ThunderForm 10" Loaded Vehicle Specific Thunderform Subwoofer Enclosure
•For 1993-2002 Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird
•200 watt built-in amplifier
•Virtually invisible when installed
•Location: Rear hatch area on the drivers side. Will not interfere with T-Top storage or the rear luggage cover
•Enclosure volume: 0.6 cubic feet, sealed
•Made of a high density polyethylene resin, which is flexible enough to transform into a variety of shapes and sizes, yet strong enough to avoid flexing
•Available in black
•Dimensions: 12-3/8"D x 17-1/8"W x 12-1/2"H

I'm not an audiophile or anything. Just want some more bass in my car. I occasionally listen to some bassy stuff on my home system. For those that have it, how much bass improvement did you get on your factory system? I have the monsoon system with an Aftermarket HU.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I did as I had the subs & box already. I had nothing to loose but time in this trial. Stock monsoon hu, speakers & amp but blown 6" stock subs. I put 2-10" Orion xtr dvc 4 ohm speakers in a sealed box that fits in the ttop holder area. I took out the ttop holders & aimed the 2-10" downwards. I put each dvc speaker parallel for 2 ohms per each side. I didn't run them mono or together. I hooked the speakers up to the factory wires that run the blown 6" monsoon speakers. I was amazed at how this sounds. It sounds bad *** for 2-10s with stock monsoon equipment. Now I wont win any spl contests but u can hear it from a distance & it sounds awesome inside the car. I may replace the hu for iPod or USB input as that's all that's needed until the amp or stock speakers die.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

im kinda an audiophile, but for my car, my exhaust is loud enough that you cant go for sq while driving. Anyways, here is my review, For space saving/ability to keep your t-tops 10/10. Appearance 7/10 because mine is black and sticks out like a sore thumb with my charcoal interior but it looks good for a box. Fitment 9/10 it is perfectly contoured for the cubby hole but you'd probably want to find a way to mount it or AT least velcro it in...but mine has never fallen out. SOUND 4/10. I had a program by HT Audio that allowed me to build my own custom boxes and they were tuned perfect for whatever frequency i want so im used to super clean smooth lows. So going from that...to this box was a major letdown. It has a hollow punchy sound to it, not smooth at all and Nothing for lows. Acceptable for Metal/Heavy rock but bad for anything else like country or hip hop or whatever. It is by no means a record breaker for how loud it gets either. So for someone who doesnt care about getting the best sound they can and just wants a little extra kick, i would recommend it. But if you have a quiet exhaust and enjoy listening to your music the way it is supposed to be heard. I would pass.
Here is my setup.....Clarion DXZ845MP Head unit, Infinity Kappa Reference 6020CS Components Front And Rear, MB Quart Reference RWE254 In MTX Thunderform Sealed Box, Orion HCCA 250G4 Powering Components, Orion HCCA 250g4 Powering The Sub. Hope this helps
Old 09-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

@LS1 pwrd NOVA: about how much did you spend?

@1 of 44: yeah im actually installing headers (TSP 1 7/8) to 3" Y-pipe, and the cats are gone already, plus dual e-cutouts.

My biggest motivation for the thing is money. I don't want to spend alot of cash on the radio, i just want it to be better heh. Space saving is a bonus just cause my trunk is usually filled with tools. The problem is though I like to listen to everything, from metal to dubstep, and right now dubstep well.. the stock system is just not good for it. So was looking to add some bass to make it more enjoyable without breaking the bank. I saw the MTX thunderform for $370 bucks at ws6store.com and thought it might help increase the range of music I listen to while in the car. I also like how it's pretty much a stereo "bolt on." Stick it in, plug it up, it's already self amped, bam good to go. You said the sound isn't that great though, so I don't know. Do you think it will make listening to bassy music in the car alot better than stock, somewhat, or not really for what I listen to?

some of what I listen to:
modestep, chemical brothers, cannibal corpse, massive attack, kid cudi
Old 09-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Grim Crow
@LS1 pwrd NOVA: about how much did you spend?

@1 of 44: yeah im actually installing headers (TSP 1 7/8) to 3" Y-pipe, and the cats are gone already, plus dual e-cutouts.

My biggest motivation for the thing is money. I don't want to spend alot of cash on the radio, i just want it to be better heh. Space saving is a bonus just cause my trunk is usually filled with tools. The problem is though I like to listen to everything, from metal to dubstep, and right now dubstep well.. the stock system is just not good for it. So was looking to add some bass to make it more enjoyable without breaking the bank. I saw the MTX thunderform for $370 bucks at ws6store.com and thought it might help increase the range of music I listen to while in the car. I also like how it's pretty much a stereo "bolt on." Stick it in, plug it up, it's already self amped, bam good to go. You said the sound isn't that great though, so I don't know. Do you think it will make listening to bassy music in the car alot better than stock, somewhat, or not really for what I listen to?

some of what I listen to:
modestep, chemical brothers, cannibal corpse, massive attack, kid cudi
It will definately help the stock setup sound because you will be turning down the bass to your factory speakers allowing you to turn up your volume...reducing distortion....relying more on your sub for the sound that your stock speakers are already trying to produce. As for your Headers and no cats, I think the drone from the exhaust will pretty much cancel out anything your sub is producing. I have stock manifolds and stock Y with SLP LMII and just cruising through the city...i might as well turn the sub off because it just drowns out and cancels any sound that my sub is producing. And i should edit that not all metal or hard rock will sound good, Every song is different and you will have some songs that will make you very happy with it, and some songs that you will listen to on your home stereo and go into your car and notice alot is missing. To kind of give you a good idea of a good song and bad song that this box has. Listen to these songs on your home stereo (assuming you have a decent setup) play them loud so you can really hear what kind of bass output each song has. With the Thunderform- LMFAO- I'm sexy and i know it sounds fine. KORN Feat Skrillex - Get Up! is seriously dissapointingly lacking if you know how its supposed to sound...I'm really not trying to persuade you to buy this box or not buy this box. I have higher standards when it comes to sound. My house Surround is Harmon Kardon 7.2, My gaming Headset is Tritton AX Pro's, And My truck is Pioneer Premier deh-780mp HU, Clarion 6.5 components in the doors, Clarion 4x6 Plate for the rear powered by a boston...i cant remember the model right now, and a JL 12w7 powered by a boston gt-24 for sq. My garage is all pioneer premier.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:04 AM
Staging Lane

I appreciate the responses. Now I gotta decide wether or not I want to transfer some performance cash into the stero, get the mtx thunderform, or just leave it till later. TBH I'll probably end up getting it and maybe a year on down the line focus on the stereo. This way I don't have to live with stock stereo for now, and be in the mindset of making it better, later.

Oh and the loudmouths are loud. I'm keeping the stock muffler/tips. Keeps it quieter while on the road (not sure how much louder it will get from the headers and y-pipe, but prob wont be as loud as a loudmouth). Plus, keeps the car looking sleeperesque, hence the dual e-cutouts for when I go to the drags, or line up to a mustang at a light ;-P
Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't recall what I paid for that setup as I've had it for years. Id look on Craigslist and look for a setup with 10s in it already. You might find a good deal on a box & subs. My box is just a regular box for 2-10s. I had the speakers already so I just dropped them in, hooked them up & was amazed. I've seen camaro specific boxes with speakers go cheap on Craigslist.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or even put one 12" sub in the ttop area. You will need a dual 2ohm sub to get max wattage but even a dual 4ohm sub will work. It'll sound good. How much does that setup u are looking at costs? Here's something to consider, how much bass do u actually want? Me I want a lot so I'm going bigger than 2-10s. U may get tired of that setup, if its a lot I wouldn't go that route unless u want limited bass.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest that is MTX's bottom of the barrel subwoofer. It really is a piece of junk sub. The enclosure is good though and can fit several different subs. Sometimes you can find an empty enclosure cheap and put your own sub in it. The 4500 MTX sub is a $45.00 subwoofer new and they don't sound that good to begin with. I put 2 in a customers Mercedes once (he brought them in) they could barely make it out of his trunk on 400watts of power. All I did was swap the subs out for a pair of JBL subs and it was a very different sound. There are a hundred other subs I would recommend before those. Thunderforms are expensive for what you get. The enclosure itself is great though and I like that part of it alot, the amp and sub are not good, especially for the money.

For $299.99 shipped I can get you something quality to put in your car vs. the MTX. This would include:
MDF stealth enclosure, JBL GT5 10" Subwoofer, Audiopipe APSM1150 300watts RMS mini amp (600watts Peak), and a 4ga amp kit.
This will far outperform the 4500 MTX sub....night and day difference. Shoot me an email if anyone wants this deal. I will put it on my website if enough people want one!
keeaudio@bellsouth.net

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 09-29-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

^dang it! I had already ordered it by the time you posted. I'm gonna try and cancel the order since it is still in shipping and go with your setup instead. I sent you an email btw.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mtx 4500 are junk? I'm glad to know that as a friend was about to buy that sub.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

i have 2 kicker 12 inch CVR is a ported box hooked up to a 1500 watt AMP..I love it because it comes with a remote **** to the amp (sure all the amps have this) and have it placed under my steering wheel so if I want a little kick in my song I turn it down some on the **** and if I want the subs to be blasting and shaking everything I turn it up lol very nice indeed..especially around the cops

Old 10-02-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bedo got some pics of ur setup? Well the box actually?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

the thunderform blows ***. it's MTX's cheapest sub and they up charge it to the max because it's in a fitted box.

You can get stealth boxes for $125 and a GREAT sub for another 100-150 tops and still be way under the cost of the MTX thundercrap.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

Yay! I was able to cancel the order. I'll be hitting you up on email, Kee, once the refund processes back into my account.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yay! I was able to cancel the order. I'll be hitting you up on email, Kee, once the refund processes back into my account.
Glad it worked out. I have you covered. Just shoot me an email:
keeaudio@bellsouth.net

I can work a deal like that for anyone else wanting something better then the Thunderform at a great price.
I also have more options for bigger bass output but for the most part this option will be more then enough for most people to the tune of around 120db or more. I have seen a pair of GT5 JBL subs put out in excess of 139db on 1000watts of power in a slot ported enclosure. They are a good budget oriented sub but still maintain quality.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

KEE I LOVE YOU!!

It sounds awesome! It is exactly what I was looking for. It sounds INTENSE. It's coupled with a kenwood excellon 595 head unit and wow. At max bass it sounds like im gonna destroy my eardrums (ALOT of bass), but at normal/operating level it is perfect (not gangbanging), Thanx again! Btw we managed to fit the amp behind the sub so it all fits into the enclosure nicely. HIGHLY recommended for someone who wants more bass and doesn't want to mess with all the other speakers (yet).
Old 10-21-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

KEE I LOVE YOU!!

It sounds awesome! It is exactly what I was looking for. It sounds INTENSE. It's coupled with a kenwood excellon 595 head unit and wow. At max bass it sounds like im gonna destroy my eardrums (ALOT of bass), but at normal/operating level it is perfect (not gangbanging), Thanx again! Btw we managed to fit the amp behind the sub so it all fits into the enclosure nicely. HIGHLY recommended for someone who wants more bass and doesn't want to mess with all the other speakers (yet).
What sub did you end up getting from Kee?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get what you pay for....get kicker solo baric
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Damn, I know I got a good deal now. I got my box, 2-12 inch kicker, 600 watt amp with wiring kit for 75$ off craiglist.

Hope you enjoy your new system!

Quick Reply: MTX Thunderform sub?