Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What kind of switch for my amp's remote wire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default What kind of switch for my amp's remote wire?

Need some info on which switch to get and how to install it.

I have a 4 channel amp with 1 speaker running per channel.
In typical stereo set up,the aux input cables from the amp and plug to the back of the headunit.

I connected the aux cables to my iphone with a female rca to stereo cable.

so at this point my headunit is still wired in, since I use it to turn the amp on.
Basically its my only control over the accessory (blue) wire to tell the amp to turn on.

I want to turn the amp on with flip of a switch. (on/off).
Would I need to run any other ground since there is already a ground (10 gauge) that goes from the engine bay to the amp?

Doing this for aesthetics, don't want a headunit in the dashboard.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 12 volt accessory that is ran off the key switch. A regular on/off switch is a bad idea. It will leave you with a dead battery and stranded when you forget to turn it off and it will happen. Everyone that I've seen who had one had forgotten at least once.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's two power wires on the back of your radio, a 12v constant and a 12v that goes off the key, basically to control when the stereo is on/off etc. Can't remember if it's the yellow or red one, but tap into that and it will turn the amp on whenever your radio would normally be on. Similar to using the remote wire but controlled by the car as opposed to the head unit
Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^
That's perfect! Thanks bill
Is this wire part of the radio harness & can I poke at the plug where this wire comes into with a test light?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

The wire is red in aftermarket adapter harnesses (such as Metra) and it connects to the yellow wire in the black connector of factory radio harness. It's actually RAP controlled so it will continue to provide power after the ignition is turned off until a door is opened.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
^^^
That's perfect! Thanks bill
Is this wire part of the radio harness & can I poke at the plug where this wire comes into with a test light?
yes, exactly. you can test it with a light, multimeter, whatever.... i believe whitebird pretty much covered the rest. just make sure its the one that retains power after the ignition is off, but turns off when the door is opened.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Got the headunit out tonight & found the red wire (RAP)on the factory harness. I ll reuse the wiring harness that was there for the headunit, trim the wires i don't need.

Quick Reply: What kind of switch for my amp's remote wire?