Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Door and Sail Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Door and Sail Replacement Question

After blowing out my sail speakers and both door speakers it time to buy some new ones haha. I was just wondering if a 6.5 inch speaker would work in the door and sails also will a 3 or 4 way speaker hook up. I know nothing about speakers/amps etc.I was looking to buy 4 Sony XS-GTX1641 Xplod 4-Way 6.5" 300w Speakers. Would these work, thanks so much ?

Last edited by 973800CamaroRS; 11-13-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Do you have a Monsoon system? If so, please read the Monsoon FAQ for information on the unique speaker setup that system uses.

If not, just about any full range, coaxial, or other 6.5" speaker will work. Avoid 3-way and 4-way speakers as they are generally crap.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished installing new speakers in the doors on my 02 ss with the monsoon system. If you have the monsoon it is a bit tricky because the tweeter is mounted in the center of the 6.5" mid (looks like a coaxial) but they both have separate leads (like a component). The easiest way to replace them yet still retain some high's in the sound is to buy coaxial 6.5" 2 way or 3 way speakers (i bought pioneer 3 way). The problem is because coaxial speakers (tweeter in the center of the mid) only have one lead (one positive, one negative) you need to cut some wires. If you use the lead wires that go to the stock mid speaker and just cut and ignore the high lead, than the 3 ways actually sounded pretty good. Another problem is the door panel, it is a pain in the neck to remove. Good luck if you have any questions let me know. The best resource I found was the Monsoon FAQ thread.