Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

driver turn signal not flashing??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver turn signal not flashing??

When i turn on my drivers side turn signal the the light just stays on?? all bulbs working. i do notice that the socket is partially melted and during daytime the DRL from drivers side looks like its off (very very dim compared to passenger side) although the bulb is on, can this be the cause?

should i replace the socket?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a grounding or relay issue to me.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by SSHulk
When i turn on my drivers side turn signal the the light just stays on?? all bulbs working. i do notice that the socket is partially melted and during daytime the DRL from drivers side looks like its off (very very dim compared to passenger side) although the bulb is on, can this be the cause?

should i replace the socket?
This is a basic common thing that you can resolve by doing a search.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

nope dident see anything useful in searching!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

didnt'
Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

I'd say it's either the socket or bulb. The sockets in these cars always seem to go bad and need replaced, at least in my experience.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
I'd say it's either the socket or bulb. The sockets in these cars always seem to go bad and need replaced, at least in my experience.
Nope - its just a bad thermal flasher. If the socket was bad, the bulb wouldn't turn on at all.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Nope - its just a bad thermal flasher. If the socket was bad, the bulb wouldn't turn on at all.
This was happening to me, all it was is that my bulb was loose and for some reason the PO must have put some kind of grease in there. Doesn't mean it is the flasher.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Guitar
This was happening to me, all it was is that my bulb was loose and for some reason the PO must have put some kind of grease in there. Doesn't mean it is the flasher.
So you are saying that your bulb was loose, but lit up properly, like the OP?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I would replace the socket. I've had the light work at times, but not flash for the turn signal and other random things. Changed the socket, and no issues.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

try the bulb first. then try the relay before you start cutting wires to replace the socket. the relay is located under the steering wheel by your right knee if i remember correctly. its a small, aluminum cylinder. costs less than $5 at your local auto store. if that fails, replace the socket. hopefully this helps.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

You don't have to cut wires to replace the socket, and its a $8 socket at autozone.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
That was my problem...TWICE!!...passenger side.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If one side works and the other doesn't, then the problem isn't the flasher since both sides use the flasher.

The 1993-2002 F-Body has 2 thermal flashers. One for both Left/Right Signals. One for Hazards.

To diagnose the issue, turn on the hazards and walk around the car. If all the other bulbs flash normally and only one with has an issue, then inspect that one bulb further.

Swap that bulb from one socket to another. If the problem follows the bulb then it was a bad bulb. If the problem stays on the same side, then there is probably a problem with the socket. Since it was already mentioned that the socket was melted/corroded, then that is the most-likely culprit. Replace the socket. You can get a new 3157 socket from Auto Zone that matches the stock one. Its in the bulb isle near the bottom with the other sockets.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by VIP1
If one side works and the other doesn't, then the problem isn't the flasher since both sides use the flasher.
Its happened to me several times (I'm now resting comfortably with electronic flashers.) and there are other threads where the flasher was bad and only one side worked. The left and right sides have a different resistance, so if its just on the edge of badness, the right side (longer wires) will pull more current and work while the left side freezes.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

ok so my hazards work properly , the problem is when i try the driver side signal the bulb in the front turns on just doesnt flashes and during daytime it looks as if its not on the pass side looks 5 times brighter

the socket looks damaged from overheating bc its partially melted ,and how do i replace socket without splicing??
Old 01-30-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

This happend on my 93. It was the flasher located under the dash to the right of the steering column. My passenger side would stay lit and never flash but my hazards worked also.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:54 AM
Save the manuals!

ok so my hazards work properly , the problem is when i try the driver side signal the bulb in the front turns on just doesnt flashes and during daytime it looks as if its not on the pass side looks 5 times brighter
If your hazards work properly, your sockets are fine. The same filaments that flash when the hazards are on flash when the turn signals are on.

the socket looks damaged from overheating bc its partially melted ,and how do i replace socket without splicing??
All of our sockets look like this. Not to worry. You could change the socket, but it will look charred (like it is now) three months later.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Mine is doing the same exact thing and I just replaced the socket on the drivers side. Question, will the thermal flasher let the passenger side blink and in my case not blink on the drivers side? All lamps are working correctly, even the hazards, it's just the drivers side drl thats not blinking and the amber lens is dim compared to the passenger side. This is really frustrating and pissing me off.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Its happened to me several times (I'm now resting comfortably with electronic flashers.) and there are other threads where the flasher was bad and only one side worked. The left and right sides have a different resistance, so if its just on the edge of badness, the right side (longer wires) will pull more current and work while the left side freezes.
Do you happen to have the part # for the electronic flasher and where to purchase it at. Thanks.

Quick Reply: driver turn signal not flashing??