Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abates
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=...w=1280&bih=650

You install hundreds every year? Wow! That would be an average of about one everyday. Business must be good.
I pulled up my 2011 figures for ya...between my 3 locations (one in particular does all the ghettorific cars usually with Alpine's entry level amps) we averaged 13+ cars per week, 626 in total, were open 48 weeks total per year, that recieved new audio equipment, last year alone I sold 17 MRP-M2000's, 164 MRX-M100's, 132 MRP-F30's, 41 MRX-V50's and 57 PDX-F6's, so yea 411 amps not counting other Alpine models or JL's or Audison's or Hertz's or ARC's which i do in considerably less volume. its easy to average an amp per day when each car usually has more than 1 amp, and I don't do head unit power, i leave that for Best Buy or sell an MRP-F30 for $175...

That link didn't work

Last edited by V8ImpSS; 02-21-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
Ok your the car audio god and know all about everything...thanks for the privilege of listening to your rants...I sell and install hundreds of Alpine amps every year and the new PDXs are better than a JL HDs or any other D class (except Hertz HDP IMO), especially for the price, and they've been out for 3 years now so us pros are well aware of the few problems they do have, I don't think I've had even 1 PDX-M12 come back ever

It is better for any speaker to be on a more powerful, higher quality amp rather than cheap garbage...over powering is better than under powering in every situation...in order to attempt at getting the same output from a sub that's on a 300 watt rms amp, rather than a 1000w rms amp, your going to have to push the smaller amp much harder causing it to distort, this will limit the output of the sub but someone who can't tell the difference between distorted bass and clean bass will turn that **** all the way up and blow the sub, then if they have a 1kw rms amp it can be set to stop at a certain gain before it distorts while still letting the maximum output of the sub be reached with a clean signal
Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
I pulled up my 2011 figures for ya...between my 3 locations (one in particular does all the ghettorific cars usually with Alpine's entry level amps) we averaged 13+ cars per week, 626 in total, were open 48 weeks total per year, that recieved new audio equipment, last year alone I sold 17 MRP-M2000's, 164 MRX-M100's, 132 MRP-F30's, 41 MRX-V50's and 57 PDX-F6's, so yea 411 amps not counting other Alpine models or JL's or Audison's or Hertz's or ARC's which i do in considerably less volume. its easy to average an amp per day when each car usually has more than 1 amp, and I don't do head unit power, i leave that for Best Buy or sell an MRP-F30 for $175...

That link didn't work and your one of the biggest haters i've ever come across
It went from "I" to "we" in a hurry lol!

I'm not sure where you think the hate is my friend. Like I said, I've read about numerous problems with Alpine PDX amps. But maybe it was the first version as you pointed out. The link I provided shows what I was referring to but it doesn't work, oh well.

And like I said earlier, I'm VERY pleased with my Alpine MPR's in my Jeep and I haven't read any bad reviews about them.

I hope business stays great for you brother
Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use I and we interchangibly, after all I own the company, but obviouslly i couldnt do all that work myself...i have been lucky through these tough times and thanks man, o i think i confused u with the dragonrage, my bad no hating here!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Ya'll arguing and bickering in my thread is completely REDICULUS. If you don't have a suggestion. Get out.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Okay, let's keep the personalities out of this and focus on the facts.

First, the statement that underpowered amps won't damage speakers (including subs) is inaccurate. Contrary to common myth, an underpowered amp will not damage speakers just because it doesn't produce enough power. If speakers were damaged by not getting enough power then you could never turn down the volume. Underpowered amps damage speakers only when they are cranked up to the point of causing distortion. On the other hand, overpowering seldom damages speakers unless they are driven to the point of mechanical damage due to over-extension of the coil beyond its physical limits (as with almost everything, there are some exceptions).

Thermal damage to speakers is often caused by clipping because the square wave signal does not provide sufficient movement of the speaker cone to generate enough cooling for the coil. This is the primary reason that the factory subs of a Monsoon system blow so frequently - the factory head unit puts out so much distortion at higher volumes that the speakers literally burn out (they certainly aren't being overpowered by the Monsoon amp). Overpowering a speaker with a clean signal (sine wave) is less likely to cause thermal damage because the speaker cone moves smoothly in and out creating air movement to cool the coil.

Coincidentally, more details on this subject are available on the same Basic Car Audio Electronics website quoted earlier. Just go down to page 29 entitled "Too Little Power".

So, to get back to the original subject, the OP should look for an amp that has at least enough power to satisfy his volume requirements. It's better to have an amp that is rated higher than the speakers than it is to have an underpowered amp that might be driven to distortion trying to achieve that volume level. In an ideal world, the amp and speakers would both be rated for higher levels than the user would ever attempt (e.g threshold of pain) so that the equipment would never be over-driven.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-22-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^^ thank you
Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Alpine MRP M500, is a good little amp, I installed one in my sons car years ago to power his one kicker 12" sub, and it still works great.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Teching In

i have the alpine MRP M500 at 2 ohms and its awesome!

Quick Reply: Amp Suggestions