Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear Hatch and Front Door Speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Hatch and Front Door Speaker install

I spent a good part of the afternoon replacing the hatch and door speakers in my 2001 SS.

the first thing i noticed was the front door speakers had been replaced at one point and they were completely trash, they were pioneer 4 ohm and had been wired all wrong.

The hatch stock speakers were shot and had holes in the cones.

I bought some infinity reference 2 ohm's for the front door, they required a little modification to wire right but not too much work.

the hatch speakers were 4" JVC i looked at the speakers that Keeaudio offered and found out they came out with a new model so i got those.

I spent 70$ for both the door and hatch speakers.

The difference between what was in my car and what it sounds like now is night and day... no distortion, alot clearer and has a better bass note.

My system now looks like

Infinities in the door
Kicker subs in the sails
and Jvcs in the hatch

GREAT sound and im running the stock head unit, so when i upgrade that it should only get better
Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish I could have sold you my Kickers... Would have given them to you for 80 shipped.

Glad you have everything wired up correctly. Enjoy the sound!!!!!

My setup is:

Infinity in the doors
Stock subs in the sails (things were beautiful when I took them out)
Kicker 3 ways in the hatch

Keeping stock radio for duration.... Unless I blow the sails and have to put the kickers back in. Then I might think of changing the head unit.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Banned

I actually have had the kickers since last Nov.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

I also have kickers in the sails they sound really good. Way better than stock....I can actually put on my rap and hip hop songs and listen to those low bass notes without them sounding like wet farts. But I ordered kicker ks components for my doors and 4" coxail speakers for the rear hatch and I hope they sound good I am gonna get them this saturday or sunday. I know the door speakers are 2ohm and the kickers are 4ohm but oh well i wanted the system to match....dont want to get kicker subs and add in sony, or pioneer, or cdt, or infinity in different location. My theory is the same brand compliments each other in tone, but I could be wrong....most likely wrong
Old 02-25-2012, 05:08 AM

Default anybody ever modify the hatch panel for other than 4"?

HI,
Just swapped my head unit and started replacing speakers and when I got to the hatch i noticed that there is mounting for 2 4" speakers which means, I can wire 2 2ohm in series and keep the 4ohm load coming out of the amp.

But....a better question is this, has anybody modified the mounting plate to accomodate a 5 1/4 or 6" midbass.

I see a lot of folks have subs in their sail panels. I don't, I have full range @ 4ohm. It was a stock monsoon until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to go double din.

Here's the current setup:
Kenwood DNX6180 HU
JBLGTO628 in the doors ( had to move the tweeter wires off the lugs to get to the amp feed)
Inifinity 6032s in the sail panels
Rear hatch stock monsoons (for now)

thanks