Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fix Factory CD "Err" Error?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fix Factory CD "Err" Error?

Ok so just got this 2001 Z28 and the thing has a factory CD player that is in mint condition, usually I find they are really trashed but I do not really like going with aftermarket stereos because they just never look like they belong in the car. When you put in the CD you get the infamous "Err" message. Is there any sure cause for this or any known way to fix it? Would a dirty lense do this?

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Teching In

I get this error for a lot of CDs that I burn myself. I have never played a CD burned from my desktop (always get an error), but I don't have issues burning CDs from my laptop. It depends on the CD drive you burn it with and the burning speed.

If you're making these CDs yourself, try a different burning speed. If its too fast it might not burn it into the CD enough, or if its too slow it might burn too much, and either one can make a CD hard to play.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Fixed mine a few nights ago, the lens was dirty as hell. Take the radio out, pop the removable top off, grab a q-tip and wipe off the lens. There is a metal plate covering it, if you look in from the left side of the metal plate you can see the lens. A dry q-tip works great since it's just dust that collects on it.

All my CD's seem to work fine now. Burned or original.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Fixed mine a few nights ago, the lens was dirty as hell. Take the radio out, pop the removable top off, grab a q-tip and wipe off the lens. There is a metal plate covering it, if you look in from the left side of the metal plate you can see the lens. A dry q-tip works great since it's just dust that collects on it.

Thanks. I've been having the err problem with burnt cds and even with the few CDs I've actually bought. I'll give this a try
Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

You could try one of those cd lens cleaners as well.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS

I just did this to mine and it fixed it so far mine wouldn't play any cds before now it has played ever cd I put in it great tip thanks for posting
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Yep me too the wifes Avalanche same error since we got it a year ago....threw my dvd/cd cleaner disk in .....allll better now and points with the wife
Old 04-23-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

this happens to me as well with my factory 12 disc cd changer. any idea how to clean that?

Quick Reply: Fix Factory CD "Err" Error?