Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is this guy from Crutchfield right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well said on nearly all aspects v8impss.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What $100 harness are you talking about? Sorry if I'm just misunderstanding what you're getting at.

An aftermarket HU is a relatively simple wiring install, pretty much put on the GM pigtail adapter and it plug'n'play. The Monsoon takes HU line level input as a "pre-amp" source and on a Pontiac passes the HU line power to the tweeters in the hatch and doors. The monsoon sends amplified full-range signal the cones in the doors and hatch.

With the monsoon, the LPF filtering is done internally on the amp module for the sails. The component crossovers (really just a HPF for the tweeters) for the door and hatch are in-line next to the speakers.

Removing the monsoon to run everything off of HU power would be a needless downgrade, IMHO. I wouldn't sell/discard the monsoon until I had a good aftermarket 4 channel amp and a monoblock at a minimum.

If you're looking for a staged upgrade path as money becomes more available, here's what'd I'd do.

1) HU with pre-outs
2) door component speakers (save the aftermarket crossovers for later)
3) better midbass DVC cones in the sails
4) some cheap hatch fill speakers that handle more power

Get amps and wiring from there as you crave more power. Power and speaker wire is what takes all the time and effort. These first steps are easy to implement and offer a significant improvement over stock. They also lay the groundwork for further upgrades without much duplication of work, aside from getting the doors and dash open again. If you wanted to, you could even put wire in the doors and tuck away some RCAs in the dash if you planned to use them later.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

i didn't read the part about a 100 harness but most of the newer gm's require a $100+ harness.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dkbmxer002
i didn't read the part about a 100 harness but most of the newer gm's require a $100+ harness.
This is not a newer GM.(98 TA) The wiring harness comes with the head unit. Just a plug and play. Im running a brand new Kenwood. The doors alpine Spr 60c and Audiopipes in the sails and 2 way coaxs for rear fill. I decided the moonson will be fine for now. I will save the crossovers from the alpines and use them later on when the moonsoon gets by passed.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's my bad, all you need is a little pigtail harness for $10...but based on looking at said pigtail, you have to send the headunit's amplified signal into the monsoon amp, which is usually the case with "premium" factory audio. Because that's what it does with the factory deck as well. This makes it a super easy swap because you can do all the wiring out of the car then it's plug and play. I'd say try just a new head unit for now and save up for a 4ch amp and the speakers and power your fronts and factory subs with the new amp.

This thread has made it clear that There are many different routes you can go, but if your 100% going to upgrade to a real amp in the near future, then for now with using the monsoon amp I wouldn't even spend the money upgrading speakers, eqspecially the rear's or factory subs, the change will be very minimal unless your stock stuff is blown. Hell, I don't use rears in my car that has won several audio competitions, they are a total waist of amplification and money. I convert nearly all my customers to front stage only systems, because you end up having a larger budget for some kick *** front speakers.

If you really want to eventually have great sound and work up to it...I'd recommend getting the Pioneer DEH-80PRS and building from there then eventually run your front components active and you'll be blown away. That head unit has auto tune built in, I just put one in that Chevelle in the pic to the left and night and day difference even over an Alpine CDA-117. Great Audio is 50% install, 40% tuning, and 10% equipment.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Launching!

I need to spend the money on speakers because of blown sails and front doors are dry rot because of old age 12 yrs.But besides that very good info here and good options.This is Kenwoods new head unit for this year.On order.http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ivers/KDC-X696

Last edited by KEVS98LS1; 03-08-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
@whitebird, you would know better than I would, but since he wants to upgrade in stages, I think adding a real amp for his fronts and "subs" would make a vast difference, because you can limit distortion with the gain...also because again, I wouldn't just use new components as plug n play replacements for stock without using the passive x-overs.
I think later posts have discussed this but just to clarify...

Yes, you're right that upgrading to a system with a good aftermarket amp and well chosen, well positioned speakers will definitely give the best performance. But the one advantage that a Monsoon system has over later model "premium" systems (or even the Camaro Bose system) is that it can be upgraded relatively cheaply with very good results while still allowing most of the upgraded items to be retained in future upgrades. With the exception of the sail panel subs, you can upgrade to a good head unit and door components (and even the hatch speakers if you really want rear fill) and still keep those pieces if you later add a better amp (or amps) and separate sub (or subs).

Quick Reply: Is this guy from Crutchfield right?