Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

help building my stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012 | 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default help building my stereo

need help picking out parts, setup, etc... had a custom 10 inch sub/box in the car with a nice pioneer 2006 deck, alpine amps, etc. 4 Alpine Type S 6.5's, doors/sails

Long story short, i was building my 357, ran out of money, the car sat inside + outsidea shop and sometime over 1.5yrs all of my stereo was stolen except my alpine 6.5 type S spkr's.

Now i have the car running, ready pretty much to take home but all that is left is my alpine 6.5's in the doors/sails. I have an amp that a buddy has BNIB, a link:
(non-sponsor link removed)

deck i bought from sconic cuz they give you install stuff free
(non-sponsor link removed)

Now i am not sure which way to go..... I could amp up all 4 spkr's and just rock that.

Or was thinking of selling 2 alpine Type S's for some 6.5 subs, than pickup a set of tweeters. Than put the 6.5 subs in the sails for the 6.5 type S's, add tweeters in the front...call it a day.

or just use all 4 spkr's and add a stealth box 10 inch sub. On a low budget tho, lets hear your advice/setups.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-19-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2012 | 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, need help!!! Please somebody....
Old 03-15-2012 | 06:58 PM
Teching In

If you have 4 sets of full range 6.5s that work fir sure you them and amp them, you can't beat free. Don't try to get some other 6.5s for bass. You really need a dedicated subwoofer, little door speakers just won't be able to accurately or loudly reproduce those sub 50hz notes.

If you want some bass def get a real subwoofer and toss it some power!
Old 03-15-2012 | 07:56 PM
Teching In

that amp is pushing more power than the type s speakers can handle. the type s are only rated for 50 or 80rms, depending on exact model that you have. that amp is pushing 125rms @4ohm. good chance at blowing the speakers.

i would say you have 3 options. sell the type s's and get better speakers, or sell the amp and downgrade are the first 2. im guessing you have older models since you said it sat for a while. the new type s speakers sell for $75/set new with free shipping on sonic. so i dont see them selling for much.
the amp sells for $170.

selling the amp and downgrading would be the cheaper way to go. selling the speakers and getting really good speakers would be the better sound.
the 3rd option is running the rear speakers off the deck (fine with a set of the type s), get a good set for the front that can handle the 125rms of the amp, and bridge channel 3&4 on the amp for a sub. that would give you 500rms to a sub.

if it were me i think i would go with the 3rd option. get a good component set rated for 125rms+ for the front. for a sub on a budget build, check out the re audio se-x series. it can handle 600rms, and usually underrated. just make sure when you hook up the rca's you connect to the front and sub inputs.
Old 03-16-2012 | 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

im not going to blast the gains with the type S's... I also am trying to trade for a set of componets. Diamond somethings....?? I found a local shop and got the wiring i will need.

I may trade a old porter cable polisher for the componets. They are last yr's model and the guy wants them gone. He told me he pushes 100 watts at them, 4ohm.

think the plan is:

componets in doors
Type S's in sails, only mid/high's (pwr from deck)
10 inch sub, ps or ds stealth box
4 channel pushing doors & sub.

I will prolly use 60-80% of the gains on the amp. I wanted to get a big 4 channel that i could/can do a lot with. So this one is staying.
Old 03-18-2012 | 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghettocowboy248
that amp is pushing more power than the type s speakers can handle. the type s are only rated for 50 or 80rms, depending on exact model that you have. that amp is pushing 125rms @4ohm. good chance at blowing the speakers.
your amp is fine on those type s's gains just need to be set right. power doesn't kill speakers its the distortion that does it and by having an amp that doesnt have to be pushed at full steam to power your speakers will lead to cleaner power with less distortion.

I like the idea of running the rear's off deck power, which is totally fine, and using 2 of the channles bridged to a sub...thats going to give the best results with what you've got. I'd look into a JL w0 or w3, or an Alpine type R...no need to spend more on a sub than that unless your crazy with this **** like me.

and BTW i haven't forgot about you but i'm super swamped lately and can help after the 1st of the month no problem, but your headed in the right direction with equipment for sure. decide on what box you want to use for the sub, like a subthump or just generic and we can help pick a sub thats good for the enclosure in question
Old 03-19-2012 | 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

picked up a set of componets for the doors. also have wiring now too.
Old 03-21-2012 | 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

n e b o d y

Quick Reply: help building my stereo