Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Does the Delco amp that comes with the 98 Z28 have settings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Delco amp that comes with the 98 Z28 have settings?

I just got to the stock Delco amp that comes with what I guess is the Monsoon system, in my '98 Z28, and I don't see any ***** for stuff like gain and bass boost and w/e else there may be. Are there any ***** on this amp? What do I need to unscrew to get to them? I already unscrewed the 4 star screws on the front and it was just the little circuit panel thingy.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing for you to play with on the Monsoon amp that I am aware of. It is what it is. At best, you can get a new HU with some DSP and EQ features.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

I installed a new HU about 2 weeks ago and it does push the speakers a bit better than the stock HU, I was just wanting to maybe change the cutoff frequency of the 6.5 subs, maybe allow them to hit some lower notes.

Oh well, I'll just put it back then and deal with it. Once I can afford it I'm getting two SA-10 subs to put in the hatch anyway so it'll be fine.

Thanks, Capricio.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Oh another question, do the 6.5 subs get a high passed signal? Like, do they just stop responding at a certain frequency or do they go as low as they can?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody knows for sure what filtering is going on inside the Monsoon, but I'd guess there is no sub-sonic (common name for what you described, freqs below 15-25 Hz that most people can't even perceive as sound) filter going to the sail panels. This was just discussed in another thread, but I'd guess the LPF in the Monsoon amp unit is set around 250-300 Hz. The mid-cones in the doors get a full range signal.

A 6.5 is going to struggle below 100 Hz, unless it has a lot of excursion to compensate for the lack of diameter. The OEM cones are pretty cheap, in a bad way.

I'd say get yourself some good high excursion 6.5" midbass subs in the sails and let them continue to handle midbass in the 80-300 Hz range. Get yourself a good monobock with a subsonic filter to drive a 10" or 12" and let it handle the 25-100 Hz range.

I really enjoy the additional midbass. Opinions vary but I think people that discard these channels in the sails are missing out.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

I think what I'mma do is just keep everything the same but I'mma take the both the 6.5 subs out of the picture and buy a good aftermarket 6.5 to do like this guy is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV56EshlI10

**** is insane. He makes AMAAAAAZING boxes.....

Quick Reply: Does the Delco amp that comes with the 98 Z28 have settings?