Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Window motor cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window motor cutting out.

I've posted before but found no real answers.

I've had a shop install a new motor/regulator about 8 months ago.

it works fine when it works, here's the thing, when im in the car with the door closed, it'll cut out randomly, lose all power, switch won't even take power from the battery, ( new switch too, wasnt it ).

but, when I open the door up halfway, it works better, open it fully, it works perfectly, i can turn it up and down all day.

Any ideas? it's very strange, i aligned it and adjusted everything per instructions on this site, i just don't understand..
Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is most likely the bcm they are know for the sold points breaking so u have to re solder them or by a new bcm
Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mischief
I've posted before but found no real answers.

I've had a shop install a new motor/regulator about 8 months ago.

it works fine when it works, here's the thing, when im in the car with the door closed, it'll cut out randomly, lose all power, switch won't even take power from the battery, ( new switch too, wasnt it ).

but, when I open the door up halfway, it works better, open it fully, it works perfectly, i can turn it up and down all day.

Any ideas? it's very strange, i aligned it and adjusted everything per instructions on this site, i just don't understand..
does anything else fail while you are having this problem ?? alarm/door locks ??

if you are only having this problem with this windows it almost seems like its a false connection on the window motor
Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Launching!

may not be related, or could be...

but sometimes when i press the trunk release when door closed and putting hand threw the window opening, it wont work, open the door, and it works, may be normal operation? not sure...

Thought about the bcm issue, but arent the radios supposed to act up? mines fine...

Just odd, old regulator/motor worked fine... the spring popped out so i had it all replaced.

I was thinking it could be a false connection, but why does it work 100% when the door is open all the way? guess I'll have to look inside the door again, the other day it stopped working, so i held my finger on the switch, opened the door fully, and wallah....back to life.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How often does it do this? Have you checked the wiring yet?
Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

mine was doing that to except it would do it at anytime so i got a new motor/regulator installed at a shop and the guy said there was a black wire that had come loose from the motor inside the door and he put it back into the new regulator and its worked great for over a year now he even said my old regulator was still good it was just the wire.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Before you check the wiring check the basic fuse that controls both the radio and the power windows. Its located on the drivers side panel by the steering wheel.

Make sure your radio works when the window doesnt. If it does then its wiring, if both dont, its the fuse.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Opened the door up, inspected, found nothing really, i took off the power connector from the window motor and cleaned it up with electronics cleaner, re-connected it, and everything seems fine now, maybe it wasn't put on right or bad/dirty connection.

All is well, now it's time to order me some new door speakers.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

It's the bcm, mine does the same thing. I gotta get me a new one.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

^ DO NOT buy new bcm...it took me a year to fix the windows\radio issue but when i got at it, it took exactly 30 mins...with the soldering and reading thru the articles..it is a very easy diy fix...