Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Getting my fog lights to behaving similar to DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting my fog lights to behaving similar to DRLs

I still want my fog lights to be controlled by the OEM switch, but I don't want the power coming from the parking lights.

My plan is to use one of the output wires (dk / lt blue) from a DRL module as the input to the fog light switch, which of course leads to the fog light relay. I've already purchased some spare DRL modules, (Why not? It was $5 for three at a junk yard...), but I was hoping someone knew what each wire's job is so I can figure out what to splice. It would be silly if they blink with the turn signal or hazards, or get disabled when the head lights are on!

On the black connector, I understand what cavities E, G, B, and C do... turn signal inputs (left & right), and turn signal+DRL outputs (left and right), respectively. But what about the other cavities? Cavity A has 18 ga. orange, D has 12 ga. red, F has 12 ga. yellow, and H has 18 ga. brown.

What about the blue connector cavities? A = black; B = <empty>; C= pink; D= tan/white; E= lt blue; F= brown; G= yellow/black; H= green/black; I'm assuming ground, ignition, ?, ?, parking lights, high beams, and low beams, respectively. Which one is trunk release disable? parking brake disable?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Why go to all that trouble? You can just connect the fog light switch power (brown wire) to an ignition switched source such as the IGN port in the fuse panel and the fog light relay power (also brown wire) to a fused constant (battery) source at the junction box under the hood. That way the fog lights will be on as long as the ignition is on but you can still turn them off with the switch.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn it. That was too simple! I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your fog lights still light up when you lock or unlock the car??? I still want to have that feature.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

No, that wiring configuration completely separates the fog lights from the parking light circuit. The rest of your parking lights will still flash but not the fog lights.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this today. I hated having to turn on the parking lights to get the fog lights to work. I hooked the brown power supply wire on the fog light switch to an ignition switched wire in the dash fuse box. And on the underhood fuse box, tapped power for the fog light relay from the 20A horn circuit.

Works great, and no chance of leaving the lights on because they turn off when the key is out.

Quick Reply: Getting my fog lights to behaving similar to DRLs