Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

few 2 ohm vs 4 ohm questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default few 2 ohm vs 4 ohm questions

hello all. I was wondering how much volume I would lose by running 4ohm components in the doors with the factory amp, with a good quality set. and would i lose any sound quality?
OR
should/could I get a 2 ohm component set and use the crossover included for the tweeters?
OR
just replace the door speakers and leave the tweeters alone?

thanks in advance
Bruce
Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Teching In

You will probably lose about 1/2 power going ti those speakers(not half output thought).sound quality shouldn't be affected in terms of what comes out of the speaker running a diff impedance, it just wont be as loud.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

In general, if you replace a 2-ohm speaker with a 4-ohm speaker (all else being equal) you will lose half of your power. As johnyko12 mentioned, half power does not mean half volume. Cutting power in half results in a 3dB drop in volume which is about one click of the volume ****. And that's with everything else equal... just about any decent aftermarket speaker is going to be at least 3dB more sensitive (efficient) than the stock speakers so you end up with no volume loss at all.

And no, changing impedance will have no effect on sound quality.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fastbird02
hello all. I was wondering how much volume I would lose by running 4ohm components in the doors with the factory amp, with a good quality set. and would i lose any sound quality?
OR
should/could I get a 2 ohm component set and use the crossover included for the tweeters?
OR
just replace the door speakers and leave the tweeters alone?

thanks in advance
Bruce
So far I have tried 2 different sets of speakers in the front doors to replace existing ones and neither sets sounded at all close or better than stock. I have tried some 4ohm pioneer full ranges and then some fairly nice 2ohm JBL components, neither set would match the vocals or midrange and output of the stockers?? Not sure why, but so far i'm sticking with the stockers until i can find something better. I have a feeling its going to take some pretty high end speakers to outdo the stockers using the stock radio and amp.. Goodluck and if you find something that "really" out does the stockers please let me know.

Quick Reply: few 2 ohm vs 4 ohm questions