Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blown DRL, upgrade to LED?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blown DRL, upgrade to LED?

Not really even sure if it is considered an "upgrade" over the stock bulbs, but is it advisable to go to LED DRLs (Trans Am) over the regular bulbs? If it barely makes a difference, I'll just buy a new bulb and get it over with. But if they are brighter, better looking, I'll take a look at upgrading. I've always had two different color DRLs (since I got the car a month ago), and it bugged me. Now that one doesn't blink anymore, I figure I'll replace them both so they look the same. I'll, of course, also check the lenses to make sure they are both clear.

Anyone have a list of what is needed to use LEDs up there? I did a little research and it seems 3157 amber LEDs are what it uses, and then I need an electronic flasher or a resistor to allow flashing. Anyone have any links or part numbers for the parts needed? Thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

see my sig pic for reference, I changed to LEDs and have been really happy with them. yes, you need an electronic flasher. You might also want to check your housings, they may be melted and letting water get in, ruining the socket. new housings, sockets, LED amber bulbs, flasher, call it a day....
Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I bought some regular 3457 bulbs so I can have a working directionals (left one was the one that didn't work), and changed them both. Both sockets look pretty bad, but I figured I'd change the bulbs and call it a day. So I change the bulbs, left directional now works. Right directional doesn't. WTF. Try the old bulb in it again, still doesn't work. So I head to Advance Auto with the plans of getting 2 new sockets, but they only had one in stock. So I picked it up and am going to wait until I get the second to install them both. Took the right housing out to take a look at it, only held on by one screw. Noticed someone drilled some holes in the bottom of the housing, presumably to allow moisture to drain. Also found a crack in the lens. I might just order 2 new housing assemblies from rockauto, and wait to install the new sockets for when I get those in. And I had to do everything through the headlights because I don't have a jack at my house to get at it from underneath. Probably going to go buy a jack and jack stands from Harbor Freight this week...
Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my housings, found some off ebay for $60 a pair from am autoparts, excellent quality.

Upgraded the bulbs to a pair of amber 45-LED 3157 bulbs from dt-autotech off ebay, $16.99 for the pair, they are pretty bright and crisp.

and upgraded the hazard and turn signal flasher to some tridan EL12's from autozone.

Works perfect, i know the front flashes faster due to led bulbs, but not a huge deal.

Any questions just let me know, I also kept my sockets and cleaned them with Some CRC Electronic Cleaner, came out looking new.

Quick Reply: Blown DRL, upgrade to LED?