Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I know..04 Tahoe harness question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question I know..04 Tahoe harness question

Hi there,
I have a 04 Tahoe LT with Bose system and onstar and I want to install an aftermarket unit that has an ipod connection and all that extra stuff my wife wants, I dont know what harness I need to get so that all the chimes, the steering wheel controls and onstar continue to work.

please enlighten me on what i need to get to install this. I went to Car Toys locally and they quoted me 350 for the harness and all the stuff i needed which i think its a little outrageous.

on the web I have found a couple but Im confused as to what works best.
any help is greatly appreciated.
David

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The harness is pretty expensive. Look on metra's website and you can find the part number.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work at Best Buy as an installer, MECP certified, and $350 isn't too far off the mark, at least with labor included.

The GMOS interface from Metra or Axxess will keep the chimes, and is about $100 at my store, and the steering wheel control interface is about $60 is if I remember right. We usually charge about $60-80 on top of the normal installation fee (which is $60 for a single din, $120 for a double din) for that harness and the steering wheel controls. You also need a dash kit, $20 for that.

All together, you're looking at about $320. You can source the parts yourself, and could probably save a bit too.

IMO, the labor isn't all that intensive, and $60-80 extra is outrageous, if you've installed a stereo yourself before, save the labor and source the parts yourself, read the directions, and ask questions here to figure it out
Old 05-17-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i ordered the GMOS 100i, as far as I can tell from the description it seems like that is all I will need to have the chimes working and retain the steering wheel controls. Can anyone here confirm this for me please.

I also bought a dash kit and and a harness that was recommended to install the above interface device.

so far as per the instructions it doesnt seem hard to install.