Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound proofing material?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound proofing material?

What is everyone using to sound proof their cars Dynamat? Something better?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

peal and seal from lowes........ did my spare tire compartment (infinity bass link) and it worked like a charm
Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

roof sheathing from lowes 1/8 thick. 1, 25$ roll did my trunk 1 3/4 times worked great
Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the stuff mentioned above are asphalt based and if you are in a warm climate city your car will smell, I'm in cali and recently installed raamat and ensolite, remember raamat(dynamat) is sound deadening not proofing you will help with vibrations but you will need ensolite to sound proof.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

on my hondas I used to do a layer of aerosol "rubberized under coating" from advance auto, it would stink real bad for about a week, and good trick is if there's a spot where to pieces vibrate and its somewhere you don't see when the interior panels are in place you could "spray foam" the small gaps between those pieces, but make sure its out of direct sunlight as sunlight will melt the foam as it cures. Yeah its a bit ghetto but its cheap and highly effective.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Another vote here for Raammat and ensolite. Good price, great results.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Sound proofing and dynamat are two different things. Dynamat is meant to reduce vibrations and road noise. Sound proofing would require a closed cell foam to stop the noise.

Something like this:
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/index...y-liner-detail

But I used FatMat Extreme. Was about as thick as Dynamat, but made of a different material.

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
on my hondas I used to do a layer of aerosol "rubberized under coating" from advance auto, it would stink real bad for about a week, and good trick is if there's a spot where to pieces vibrate and its somewhere you don't see when the interior panels are in place you could "spray foam" the small gaps between those pieces, but make sure its out of direct sunlight as sunlight will melt the foam as it cures. Yeah its a bit ghetto but its cheap and highly effective.
I did that before. It kinda worked, but it didn't. You can not get the spray coating to lay thick enough to add enough weight to the panel to effectively reduce it's resonant frequency.

Spray foam in tight areas: yes! I'm a big fan of that.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I did that before. It kinda worked, but it didn't. You can not get the spray coating to lay thick enough to add enough weight to the panel to effectively reduce it's resonant frequency.

Spray foam in tight areas: yes! I'm a big fan of that.
I don't think I even bothered to do it on the last honda, my brother is thinking about gutting the interior of his prelude and doing truck bed coating, don't know if that would be any better but it would be far cheaper then dynamat and he doesn't have a system so he doesn't need much. But it needs a good degrease before anything happens the previous owners ragged it out.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Launching!

I have a friend that used window flashing tape for his M3, worked great!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I don't think I even bothered to do it on the last honda, my brother is thinking about gutting the interior of his prelude and doing truck bed coating, don't know if that would be any better but it would be far cheaper then dynamat and he doesn't have a system so he doesn't need much. But it needs a good degrease before anything happens the previous owners ragged it out.
True, but you can't expect something to work exceptionally for $20. Get what you pay for and I guess it's all on what you NEED. If you don't really NEED heavy sound deadening, then I guess the spay stuff will be fine.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by emenny81
all the stuff mentioned above are asphalt based and if you are in a warm climate city your car will smell, I'm in cali and recently installed raamat and ensolite, remember raamat(dynamat) is sound deadening not proofing you will help with vibrations but you will need ensolite to sound proof.
My car sat out in 90* heat yesterday with the windows up and no smell whatsoever. Only have the rear well done though so that might make a difference.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

3M rubberized undercoating, foam weatherstripping, and low-expansion spray-foam.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Sound deadening is what i would want proofing was not quite the word i meant. So it seems everyone recommends/uses dynamat i see they have a extreme version which i dont know is any better and i see eastwood sells their version of dynamat anyone use that?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

I am kind of wanting to reduce road noise in my camaro too. You guys think four sq ft would be enought Dynamat to do the main part of the cabin (under the driver/passenger seats & floorboard)?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I covered most of the doors and panels and used about 75 sq ft of raamat and about 40 sq ft of ensolite

Quick Reply: Sound proofing material?