Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What amp for this single 15?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What amp for this single 15?

2000 watts power (PMPO). 1000 watts power (RMS). Frequency response: 18-900Hz. Sensitivity: 98.6dB. Air cushion foam surround one piece aluminum cone. 3" 4 Layer one piece aluminum dual voice coil. Dual voice coil (2 ohm or 8 ohm operation). Mounting depth: 228mm (9"). 150 Oz. magnet. Color: Red.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

this amp would be perfect for that setup
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOBAHN-A1...item416621ef9c

i had pretty much every amp and sub on the market.
i was in alot of bass compettions and i got to love the audiobahn amps ( just the amps not the subs and the rest suck)

but i had two 15 alpine type r's on a 4800 watt audiobahn with 2400rms and it hit 155dbs (you could hear it about a mile away)

and you have to have the right box for the sub. you can have the nices sub and a shitty *** box it wont hit and sound like ***. you can have a cheaper sub in the right box and hit hard and sound awsome.

and btw you alway want to go the lowest ohm possible. it will hit alot harder and sound better.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
this amp would be perfect for that setup
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOBAHN-A16000J-1-CHANNEL-1800W-CLASS-A-B-CAR-AUDIO-POWER-MOSFET-AMPLIFIER-/280886374300?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item416621ef9c

i had pretty much every amp and sub on the market.
i was in alot of bass compettions and i got to love the audiobahn amps ( just the amps not the subs and the rest suck)

but i had two 15 alpine type r's on a 4800 watt audiobahn with 2400rms and it hit 155dbs (you could hear it about a mile away)

and you have to have the right box for the sub. you can have the nices sub and a shitty *** box it wont hit and sound like ***. you can have a cheaper sub in the right box and hit hard and sound awsome.

and btw you alway want to go the lowest ohm possible. it will hit alot harder and sound better.
(non-sponsor link removed) So are the 200 watts difference that big of a deal? I was about to get this.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 06-09-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:09 AM

Alright. Thanks a lot man I might go with that one.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

i read the reviews and it looks like those amps blow quick. i would not tget that amp.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Hifonics amps. If you are 100% positive that you'll never get anything more than 1 sub I'd look for something a little over 1000 wrms. If you're not sure I'd get something with enough power to drive 2. With 1 mono amp and a 2 ohm DVC sub you could run it @ 1 ohm. If you got 2 2 ohm dvc subs it would run @ 2 ohms though.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

I am partial to Memphis amps n subs. I have the 16-MCD1000 on 2 power reference 12's In a custom built by me ported box and your car cant handle any more bass for fear of it falling apart. My dash is shaking so hard Im scared it will break and fall of the firewall. Im running dual 4 ohn subs running in series @ 1 ohm and that makes the amp push 1000 watts rms with a 1.5 farad capacitor and 4guage power wire. Trust me, Memphis m class is real Pro car audio. Back in the day I had 4 punch 12's and a punch 500 in a 1995 ext cab s-10, It rocked the block. I personally believe memphis is a better brand than rockford and they are still damn good IMO. Pm me with any questions on my setup.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I am partial to Memphis amps n subs. I have the 16-MCD1000 on 2 power reference 12's In a custom built by me ported box and your car cant handle any more bass for fear of it falling apart. My dash is shaking so hard Im scared it will break and fall of the firewall. Im running dual 4 ohn subs running in series @ 1 ohm and that makes the amp push 1000 watts rms with a 1.5 farad capacitor and 4guage power wire. Trust me, Memphis m class is real Pro car audio. Back in the day I had 4 punch 12's and a punch 500 in a 1995 ext cab s-10, It rocked the block. I personally believe memphis is a better brand than rockford and they are still damn good IMO. Pm me with any questions on my setup.
I once melted the voice coils of one of 2 memphis 12's using an audiobahn amp like the one linked above, it was at a competition, the store hosting it wanted to make a strong showing so they told everyone who had bought stuff from them to go for it and if you blow it they'll replace, so we rewired the 2 subs from like 8 ohm down to like 2 ohm (causing the amp to put out more power then the combined max of the 2 subs), and within 30 seconds it just started sounding real bad and one sub was locked down, we unscrewed it and smoke came out of the box.

Moral of this story, if you go with Memphis get the high end ones not the 400-600 watt models.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I once melted the voice coils of one of 2 memphis 12's using an audiobahn amp like the one linked above, it was at a competition, the store hosting it wanted to make a strong showing so they told everyone who had bought stuff from them to go for it and if you blow it they'll replace, so we rewired the 2 subs from like 8 ohm down to like 2 ohm (causing the amp to put out more power then the combined max of the 2 subs), and within 30 seconds it just started sounding real bad and one sub was locked down, we unscrewed it and smoke came out of the box.

Moral of this story, if you go with Memphis get the high end ones not the 400-600 watt models.
That may be, and is verry possible, afterall, you had a amp pushing way more than the subs are rated for. BTW, were they the Power Reference or the Street Edge series? My PR 12"s beat like King Kong and I have smelled the voice coils a couple of times after beating on them for a bit. I just simply turn it down for a min or so till they cool down then its back to buisness again. I also have never blown any subs due to the fact that I have a verry keen ear for distortion. I will probably go with the M3's next if these ever give up. I bought the pr 12's because I had an MCD500 on them first and later upgraded the amp to the 1000.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
That may be, and is verry possible, afterall, you had a amp pushing way more than the subs are rated for. BTW, were they the Power Reference or the Street Edge series? My PR 12"s beat like King Kong and I have smelled the voice coils a couple of times after beating on them for a bit. I just simply turn it down for a min or so till they cool down then its back to buisness again. I also have never blown any subs due to the fact that I have a verry keen ear for distortion. I will probably go with the M3's next if these ever give up. I bought the pr 12's because I had an MCD500 on them first and later upgraded the amp to the 1000.
not sure on what series, this was like 8 years ago and it was some other guys car. I fully admit we were throwing a couple hundred watts more then the combined max rating of the 2, but that sub fused the coil, you could punch the cone and it wouldn't move, some people did, one guy even cracked the dust cap and the sub didn't move.

to OP redhex, why do you keep starting new threads concerning the same thing (which sub / amp to go with)? you seem to have made your pics, and despite multiple recommendations you are still looking at that audiopipe sub, save up more then 600 bucks and do your system right from the beginning, even if you have to do it in stages. Also 900 htz for the top end of the response is a waste as most sub woofer amp crossovers max out at about 250 htz.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverSS07
I like the Hifonics amps. If you are 100% positive that you'll never get anything more than 1 sub I'd look for something a little over 1000 wrms. If you're not sure I'd get something with enough power to drive 2. With 1 mono amp and a 2 ohm DVC sub you could run it @ 1 ohm. If you got 2 2 ohm dvc subs it would run @ 2 ohms though.
X2 Hifonics is VERY hard to beat $ per wattage
Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I have the Hifonics amps and check out the RE Amps as well
XT Series!
http://reaudio.com/amps.php
Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the perfect sub amplifier for you!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-c...-amp-sale.html