Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audio guys- What are my options

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio guys- What are my options

I'm looking to upgrade my sound system in my camaro convertible. It has monsoon right now. I'm looking to keep it looking as factory as possible, don't want a box. Looking for good speakers with crisp sound and a little bass. I DO NOT like or NEED a lot of bass. Just enough to notice it. Would rather not run new wiring or splicing if possible... Don't want a new head unit.

I've been reading other threads and I have no idea where to start with this. This is all very confusing to me.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a buddy with his 01 SS put Memphis audio all the way around sounds amazing!
Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I just looked into Kee Audio for fbody convertibles. Is this kit completely plug and play, no splicing or cutting wires?
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

If you can get a hold of the dude yea your all good with kee
Old 06-17-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really want to confirm that I will not have to cut or splice anything. I want to keep that all intact if possible.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Conrad
I really want to confirm that I will not have to cut or splice anything. I want to keep that all intact if possible.
I installed his premium speaker package last winter. There is a connector on the car's wiring harness close to the speaker. The other connector goes to the speaker.

Just cut the connector off the old speakers and connect the wires to the new ones. Then you plug it back into the car's harness. No big deal.

I might have some pictures around here if you need them.

Todd

PS they sound very good with the stock amp and head unit.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Todd. My car is a vert, according to his website there's only 1 package for me for $250. I can probably buy some new connectors so I don't have to cut my old ones off, right?

Maybe a couple pictures of them installed, if you would?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

I was just looking at the parts manual and the connectors are listed separately so it is just a question of if GM still has them.

I will look at what pictures I have and take some screen shots of the manual and post them tomorrow.

The best way to contact Ian @ Kee Audio is to send him an email with something about his speaker packages in the subject line so his spam filter doesn't dump it.

Todd
Old 06-17-2012, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Dennis from DoubleDMods has packages for this also and you don't have to waste a bunch of time trying to get ahold of him. Just pick up the phone,dial the number, he answers the phone, place your order and two days later it shows up at your door.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrad
Thanks Todd. My car is a vert, according to his website there's only 1 package for me for $250. I can probably buy some new connectors so I don't have to cut my old ones off, right?

Maybe a couple pictures of them installed, if you would?
The connectors you cut off are from the OEM speakers that you will be throwing away anyway. No modification to the wiring in the car is necessary. You cut the connectors off the old speakers, wire them to your new speakers, then plug the new speakers into the car harness.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Here are the pictures of my install.

This one shows the connector to the speaker. If you didn't want to cut the wires going to the old speaker you could use a soldering iron and solder sucker to remove the wires from the stock speakes.

This is a shot of the sound deadening I used for the sail panel speakers. You need to use something to form a gasket behind the speaker. There is an opening in there that looks down on the fender and by covering that up I got a nice reduction in road noise.

Here is a shot of the installed speaker.

I couldn't find a shot of my door speaker so this is one another member sent me. The door speaker had a gasket on it so I just reused it. I have seen some members put sound deadening all over the door, but I decided against it. That door looks like swiss chesse when you take the panel off.

Here are the parts list from the manual.

Todd
Old 06-18-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I realized that I'm also needing to lower my car, so that's going to come first. I'll probably end up doing this later on in the future.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fasrnu
had a buddy with his 01 SS put Memphis audio all the way around sounds amazing!
Do you know what series Memphis system it is?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by surfsideracing808
If you can get a hold of the dude yea your all good with kee
Ian Kee's email is keeaudio@bellsouth.net . He will respond to emails ASAP as he works odd hours is not always able to phone.

Quick Reply: Audio guys- What are my options