Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Humount wire problem/fuse keeps popping

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humount wire problem/fuse keeps popping

I have had my custom Humount installed for a couple months with no problems at all. I wired it up directly to the radio harness so it is always on as long as the key is turned over. I decided I wanted to add a toggle switch so I could turn it on and off during the day. I ran the wires from the mount to a toggle switch and from there to the radio fuse in the fuse box since I knew it would handle the extra no problem. I grounded the wire to a screw on the fire wall. When the toggle is in the off position it immediately blows the fuse when I turn the key. I replaced the fuse moved the toggle switch to on and turned key and the mount came on with no problems. I then switched it off and the fuse blew. I tried putting a higher fuse in and all of them blew the same way. Am I missing something here I am just overlooking??
Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it a switch with 3 prongs and a led that lights or something like that. if so you have 2 wires backwards
Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Restricted User

No the switch has two wires coming off of it. I ran one red power wire to the fuse box and the other black to ground on the fire wall. I didn't try reverseing them because I didn't think it would work if the polarity was backwards since it turns on? The mount is LED but it only has two standard wires coming off of it.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why are you running a wire to ground this is your problem
Old 07-25-2012, 02:45 AM
Restricted User

Because there are two wires coming off of the mount one for power the other for ground? It won't work unless it is grounded.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The HUMount needs a ground but the switch should not have a wire going to ground. Proper connection of the switch would be:

- a wire from your power source (fuse panel) to one terminal of the switch
- a wire from the other terminal of the switch to the power (red) wire of the LEDs.
- the ground wire (black) for the LEDs is unswitched and goes straight to a chassis ground (not to the switch)
Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Restricted User

Ahh...Thank you for the help...I will wire it up when I get home today!!!!!