Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bypass Module Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bypass Module Install

I purchased a VATS bypass module (one that sends the fuel enable frequency to the PCM) I don't own a service man. for it so I can't find pin out info for what wire I have to hook my freq. into. I'd like to do it off the BCM so I can keep the module inside the car away from engine heat. I know its in Connector C3 of the BCM but idk which pin. The instructions that came with the module are ****/non existant. Its a 1999 Pontiac Trans Am. Please someone help me!!! I'm getting so pissed I wana throw my laptop through the garage door, I've been looking for so long!!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would you buy a kit? The vats bypass takes 10 minutes and $0.90 cent resistor

To do the vats bypass first find the resistance of the chip in your key. They can do this for you at radio shack, then purchase the resistor that matches the resistance of the key

Remove the kick panel under the drivers side dash. The orange harness coming out of the steering column needs to be unplugged and you place the resistor inside of the connector end that comes from the bcm. That is all you have to do. I suggest leaving the key in the ignition for about ten minutes in the on position to get the bcm reading the resistor.

I highly suggest you use the search function, this subject has been covered a million Times and there are several threads with in depth pictures. To search correctly be sure you have only selected one forum to search and do no have search all open forums selected. Then at the bottom select arrange threads in order of relevance

Last edited by chrysler kid; 09-10-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There is absolutely no need for any bypass to have anything to do with the PCM fuel enable signal. As mentioned above, when you bypass VATS with resistors the BCM takes care of the fuel enable signal because it thinks the proper key is present... no special signal is required. Besides, the fuel enable "signal" from the BCM is a simple grounding of the 5 volt reference line from the PCM - there is no special frequency.

I hope you didn't buy one of those "fix everything" extremely overpriced kits from that fool at NEWROCKIES, INC. If so, I would take advantage of their 30-day money back guarantee. I mean seriously? $179 for less than $5 worth of parts? Most of which are completely unnecessary?

If you really want a complete kit to avoid shopping for individual resistors, look for the Directed Electronics 652T kit. They are the same company that makes Viper and Clifford alarm systems (among other things) so they know what they are doing. Their kit includes the resistors to match all possible GM VATS values along with complete instructions (but no PCM fuel enable signal bypass). You can get it on Amazon for $4.50.

Quick Reply: Bypass Module Install