Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

BIg 3 and Alternator with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIg 3 and Alternator with pictures

New to the site and posting, but have been here reading for a while. I upgraded my alternator to a 145 amp out of an 03 escalade. Also did a big 3 upgrade. Wiring kit from innovative wiring. Thought I would post pictures of the difference in the stock wiring compared to the innovative wiring kit. and how they look in the stock positions. The only problem I had was the engine ground and the cable being stiff, but I did eventually get it with a few choice words and some convincing. The wiring kit is put together very nicely. ANy questions feel free to ask! Here are the pictures

Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Looks good.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

how much was it?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good! I need to do this! I did the 145amp but didn't finish it off with the big 3.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

BTW......my big 3 augmented the stock wires .........so i did not have to replace them
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Teching In

They ran 109 with shipping. I didnt like the idea of "augmenting" more clutter than necessary in my opinion. You don't have to replace the full harness. It was how I chose to do it because I like the idea of it looking factory. ta-stranger I would definatly do the big three upgrade made a big difference plus you want the extra wire capacity to carry the larger amount of current coming from the bigger alternator.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Don't the newer F bodies come with 140 amp alternators? I know in my 93 they come with the garbage low output alternator and I upgraded it with a newer one, made a decent difference for sure with just the alt. I'm sure with fatter wires it's worth it.

After all the **** I just wired into my car last weekend I'm considering this now. In my 97 I did HID lows, HID fogs, Alpine headunit, 2x Alpine Type R's, Alpine 1000w rms mono block amp, Alpine black bird GPS, and put my Cobra radar detector in. I've got a mini car audio battery wired in to help things out and so far haven't had any problems, no dimming or anything.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93z383
Don't the newer F bodies come with 140 amp alternators? I know in my 93 they come with the garbage low output alternator and I upgraded it with a newer one, made a decent difference for sure with just the alt. I'm sure with fatter wires it's worth it.

After all the **** I just wired into my car last weekend I'm considering this now. In my 97 I did HID lows, HID fogs, Alpine headunit, 2x Alpine Type R's, Alpine 1000w rms mono block amp, Alpine black bird GPS, and put my Cobra radar detector in. I've got a mini car audio battery wired in to help things out and so far haven't had any problems, no dimming or anything.
Well you wouldn't see dimming with HID's, they don't dim, also they use (assuming yo got the standard 35 watt ballast) less power then your stock lows, but regardless, its still a good idea.
To my knowledge in the late models you had the CS130D for the V-6 (3800 series II) and CS130 for the V-8's which are both 105 amp alternators but the CS144 could be swapped (threads here on how-to) easily in place of the CS130 and the CS144 comes in a 145 amp and in general is a better, longer lasting design, another thing I've read is it is possible to get an AD24x(can't remember the last number) from like an 03 or so suburban and swap it onto the V-8's and they are much bigger and you can get some crazy high amounts of power from them from the performance alt companies versions (upwards of 300 amps from the powermaster version).
Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Launching!

The HID's are 55w low beams, 35w fogs, I was just saying after everything else there's definitely more drain, my ipod gets charged by the deck, the gps gets charged, and the cobra gets charged on top of the sub system.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your ipod gps, and radar detector draw maybe 1.5 amps if that so dont even worry about the load that puts on the system
Old 05-29-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

All 4th gen alternators were 105amp factory.
HIDs use less power...except for the surge on startup.
Nice bang for buck upgrade there, big 3 + alt REALLY upgrades these cars. Did you notice your AC fan blows harder? LOL
Replacing or augmenting, really your preference. That Everstart Maxx is a great battery, not as good as a DHP but significantly less money, excellent bang for buck.
Nice work!!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Nice bang for buck upgrade there, big 3 + alt REALLY upgrades these cars. Did you notice your AC fan blows harder? LOL
Replacing or augmenting, really your preference. That Everstart Maxx is a great battery, not as good as a DHP but significantly less money, excellent bang for buck.
Nice work!!
HID's typically use less power but 93z383 has 55-watt low beams which is actually an increase over stock lows, either way the stock 105 amp alt is frankly undersized and if you have it in the budget I say go for the upgrade.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Yeah when the car is running everything is perfectly fine, plenty of charge from the alt and no dimming or any problems. The thing that bothers me is the battery died on me today from listening to music for 15 minutes or so with the car off, even with the second battery. I wasn't blasting it either.. had it pretty low actually.

1 more question if anyone knows, not to thread hijack either, but has anyone had their "ABS inop" light come on after any electrical related upgrades aside from a SS spoiler? For some reason my ABS inop came on after the battery had died.. I popped the clutch to get the car running again and it came on. (push the car, get it rolling, put it in second gear & fired right up).
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Nice work!!
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah the blower motor does have a little bit more speed, but the windows made a difference. Next upgrade I think is the realy kit for the passenger side window! That everstart maxx is a tough battery I drove the car over 30 miles with the bad alternator on just the battery and I kept the radio on the car started and shut off a good few times after also. Charged it back up still running like a champ. The car wasnt starving for electronic power before, but the flickering lights always irritated me just a little bit, now when I upgrade my stereo system also I wont have to worry about the lights dimming or undercharging the battery!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93z383
Yeah when the car is running everything is perfectly fine, plenty of charge from the alt and no dimming or any problems. The thing that bothers me is the battery died on me today from listening to music for 15 minutes or so with the car off, even with the second battery. I wasn't blasting it either.. had it pretty low actually.

1 more question if anyone knows, not to thread hijack either, but has anyone had their "ABS inop" light come on after any electrical related upgrades aside from a SS spoiler? For some reason my ABS inop came on after the battery had died.. I popped the clutch to get the car running again and it came on. (push the car, get it rolling, put it in second gear & fired right up).
To answer your question I would honestly guess a low voltage code in the ABS module. Go to the local parts store and have them read the code and see what it is. My abs light came on when my alternator went bad and the battery voltage was extremely low. Could be your issue and its worth checking out.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

the truck alt is a AD244
Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Teching In

I dont know about the case numbers and Im sure if I did some research I would know what they are, but all I did was tell them it was out of an 03 cadillac escalade. Make sure they know its a 145 or they will try and give you the 145. If you go to a junk yard tell them its and EG3 i believe.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

KG3 option for the 145 amp alt out of a truck
Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-failures.html

more info for those that dont know
Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Yeah the ABS light must have just came on from the low voltage like you guys said. I got the battery juiced back up and it's been off ever since. Thanks for the tip

Quick Reply: BIg 3 and Alternator with pictures