Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Security issues

I have a 97 trans am a4. 2 years ago i had the random flashing security light that would keep the car from starting. Eventually we figured out the problem and did the vats bypass with the resistor under the dash mod. The problem im having now and have been having since is every now and then in a span of 3 months or so ill go to start the car and the security light will come on. Its not flashing it just stays on for the 2 to 3 minutes then goes off. Once it goes off ill try to start the car again and fires up. Even sometimes just going down the road the light will come on for 2 to 3 minutes and go off, while im driving. Like i said its completely random and annoying as hell. I thought the resistor would fix all that but the only thing it did fix was the flashing light, not the holding light for 2 to 3 minutes. Any ideas or input would be great. Thanks
Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you remove the security module? To me it sounds like a short or loose connection and will only get worse. If you've bypassed the relay, your probably not using the alarm anyways. Or replace it with a newer system for $100-200.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

Unfortunately, VATS is contained in the Body Control Module (BCM) which also controls numerous body functions such as power for windows and radio, door locks, hatch release, courtesy lights, warning chimes and lights, in addition to the optional alarm and a few other things so it can't be removed.

OP, I would check your VATS bypass. It sounds like you may have a loose connection or that the resistor combination you used is close to the borderline 10% variance that the BCM will accept. Remember that the resistors themselves have a certain amount of variance depending on which ones you used.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Unfortunately, VATS is contained in the Body Control Module (BCM) which also controls numerous body functions such as power for windows and radio, door locks, hatch release, courtesy lights, warning chimes and lights, in addition to the optional alarm and a few other things so it can't be removed.

OP, I would check your VATS bypass. It sounds like you may have a loose connection or that the resistor combination you used is close to the borderline 10% variance that the BCM will accept. Remember that the resistors themselves have a certain amount of variance depending on which ones you used.
I second this advice. Bypass has been trouble free on my car.

Quick Reply: Security issues