Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is it feasible to put 6X9's in the doors on a 4th gen camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is it feasible to put 6X9's in the doors on a 4th gen camaro?

As the title says... While looking for the ideal pair of 6.5's for my car, I've seen that the 6x9's aren't that much more expensive.

Has anyone been crazy enough to put 6x9's on the doors?

If so, how did it go?

P.s.
I'm not using the stock systems. I'm buying a 4 channel amp for the high's.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're better off with a good set of 6.5s.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay with the 6.5s (or 6.75" to be exact); IMO 6x9s are WAY over rated. A good set of 6.5" should sound just as good if not better.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Stay with the 6.5s (or 6.75" to be exact); IMO 6x9s are WAY over rated. A good set of 6.5" should sound just as good if not better.
^^This^^

6x9 covers more area, which means it might push more air (bass/low tone), but they also are flexing the rigidity of the cone which typically means more wear. A perfect circle is more durable than an oval. The vocal quality will entirely depend on the speaker, but for doors I would personally stick to 6.5s as this gentlemen stated. You also have to take into consideration acoustics and placement, as the speaker also needs space behind it to produce vibration (sound). with that being said, your best option would be coaxial speakers with a good handling level and anti clipping. The coaxial speakers typically have a separate tweeter, so the 6.5 speaker is only mid and low base with a solid cone, instead of the tweeter placed in the center of the speaker. It's might difficult to get a really good vocal range out of a low set door as opposed to a tweeter facing you at say the top of the dash.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought that it would be interesting to try, but from what I see, it's not worth the hassle.

Thanks,

Joel

Quick Reply: Is it feasible to put 6X9's in the doors on a 4th gen camaro?