Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new headunit causes sail panel subs not to work with Monsoon Amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to say you wired it wrong. My Firebird had a similar issue and that pink wire mentioned above was the culprit.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Sorry guys, the Monsoon system does not use a remote turn-on wire for the amp. The Monsoon amp uses signal sensing on the audio input channels to turn on and off. Also, the Monsoon amp powers all speakers (Camaro) or all speakers except tweeters (Firebird) so an amp that wasn't turning on would lose a lot more than just sail panel sub output. This and lots more information is available in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.

Endersshadow, your system must have been the 10-speaker premium audio used in pre-97 Firebirds because it could not have been a Monsoon. The pink wire in a Monsoon system is for the power antenna.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sorry guys, the Monsoon system does not use a remote turn-on wire for the amp. The Monsoon amp uses signal sensing on the audio input channels to turn on and off. Also, the Monsoon amp powers all speakers (Camaro) or all speakers except tweeters (Firebird) so an amp that wasn't turning on would lose a lot more than just sail panel sub output. This and lots more information is available in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.

Endersshadow, your system must have been the 10-speaker premium audio used in pre-97 Firebirds because it could not have been a Monsoon. The pink wire in a Monsoon system is for the power antenna.
DOH! I didn't read. Sorry OP. I definitely did have a pre 97 Firebird. I just saw that awful pink wire mentioned and thought about my old stereo.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So as a side note...I noticed that you said your front speakers and sail worked off of the same channel?

This may be wrong but I've had an 01' SS and a '02 Z28 and they both had the hatch speakers working off of the same channel as the sails. Maybe that reveals some factor in this? Maybe the previous owner changed wiring and thereby filters/amp configs/etc..

Just a thought.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Default Same issue with my 98 camaro

I installed a eclipse hu and sail panels have almost no out put. I just got a amp and the 10'' stealth box but it would be nice to get the sail panels working to.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

I think it maybe because the monsoon amp is 2 ohm and if your using a 4 ohm speaker your only going to get half the sound.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomber Z
I think it maybe because the monsoon amp is 2 ohm and if your using a 4 ohm speaker your only going to get half the sound.
Uh... sorry, no. Sure, changing from 2-ohm to 4-ohm speakers cuts the power in half but that only results in a 3dB decrease in volume - about one click of the volume ****. It takes a 10x change in power to double (or half) the volume. Also, any decent aftermarket speaker is going to be more sensitive (efficient) than the stock speakers so that makes up for much of the 3dB difference as well.

Besides, the question was about changing the head unit causing loss of sail panel sub sound - unrelated to changing any speakers.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

OK.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Hummm! I put in a Kinwood HU and only getting subs in my sails now.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Teching In

I hate kenwood, the ppl that made it can't get threw the menu. I'd sell it. But by judging in ur taste in audio set up I'm gonna bet u keep it and keep hating it lol but least u can say u got a kenwood

Best thing to do is get rid of the factory trash. I think it's funny how every1 on this site wants to keep there monsoon, and keeps running into problems. U want to upgrade but u keep the crap that's holding u back. Ur deck by itself sounds better than what that amp does because it was built to sound good with the paper speakers GM had in it. Plus sound quality is way better than it was when ur car was made. But hey do wat u do

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-10-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Teching In

I wonder if this is what we need
http://shop.doubledmods.com/AXXESS-X...-xsvi-2004.htm
Don't know if it works in camaros.... also anyone have a good suggestion for door speakers the Infinity Kappa 62.7i is discontinued.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Default I'm breathing life back into this thread

I've been reading a lot lately that talk about the sail panel speakers off of the monsoon amp with a different head unit. So, I'll provide an update...

I bought a pioneer headunit to see if it was a "kenwood" thing. Turns out, the sails are doing the exact same thing. So, here's what I did:

I faded the radio to the rear, disconnected the 4" speakers in the rear, and turned up the base....I could hear the sails very faintly. After getting in the back seat, I couldn't hear anything out the drivers side sub, but I could hear the passenger sub. Both sides do not match. So, I'm wondering how those are wired to the sub.

Could this be a bad amp?

Is there a different signal that is being utilized by the monsoon head unit?

The subs are NOT blown. they are 2ohm kickers

What is the BEST way to get all the stock speakers working again?

Should I just move the rear hatch speakers up to the sails (Convert to 6.5's) and add a 10" sub? (and keep the monsoon amp?)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ziggyMSU
What is the BEST way to get all the stock speakers working again?
Depending on how much you want to spend...

Get 6 full range external amp channels and a sub class D for a 10". Set up the sail panels with a combination of HPF and LPF filters/settings to effectively create a bandpass. I've written up how to do this before, not sure anyone else has really tried it but it works great, just a lot of wiring and amps to deal with. The additional mid-bass really helps produce a richer, fuller sound than just a sub and components.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ail-panel.html
Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Default Update

Good news. I got my sail panels to work, and they are great. I figured it out when I got in the back of the car and got really close to the passenger speaker and could hear a little static. Then I listened to the drivers side, and heard nothing. Every time i was back there a wire was sliping out of the drivers side. Hooked everything up again, and both started working perfectly! Loose wire drove me to the edge. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bootlife
...Plus sound quality is way better than it was when ur car was made....

Kind of a general statement? I grew up in the 60's and the "sound" quality was the best, much better than the stuff that passes for music today ;-)

And speaking of the Monsoon system, I have had mine since new in 98 and love it. Nothing wrong until you go messing with the design for no real reason.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Default Got bit by the sail speaker bug

Reviving an old thread.
2002 camaro coupe with monsoon
Installed a new alpine head unit and the sail speakers stopped working. Has anyone figured out why this happens when installing an aftermarker headunit? I really don't want to add a sub. They worked fine before the install. All other speakers work fine and sounds great so I don't think it's the wiring. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

You already have an amplifier in the hatch area just ahead of the spare tire that drives all the speakers except the tweeters. Make sure the new head unit adapter cables still route the signals to it. Has the wiring been changed from stock to allow the new head unit to drive the other speakers directly?
Old 01-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
You already have an amplifier in the hatch area just ahead of the spare tire that drives all the speakers except the tweeters. Make sure the new head unit adapter cables still route the signals to it. Has the wiring been changed from stock to allow the new head unit to drive the other speakers directly?
Thanks for the quick reply Gary. I think on the 02's all speakers are driven off the amp. I saw this in the monsoon FAQ sticky.
The head unit has a right front, left front, right rear, left rear output, but I think that is the same as the stock wirering back to the amp. Since the other speakers are working fine, signal is getting back to the amp. Is the another set of wires running back to the amp that the wiring adapter doesn't have that need to be spliced into?
Has anyone replaced the head unit and the sails still work?
Old 01-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

There are normally no other wires. There are just the 8 wires: 2 for right front, 2 for left front, 2 for right rear, and 2 for left rear. As far as I know, if the wiring is all stock, then the subs should be working. I was asking if perhaps the wiring had been altered to drive the other 4 speakers directly. The 4 tweeters are driven directly from the head unit.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:48 AM
Teching In

I receive new speakers on Tuesday so when I install those I'll check and make sure the wire is original.

Quick Reply: new headunit causes sail panel subs not to work with Monsoon Amp