Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Front door speakers not working, all others OK

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front door speakers not working, all others OK

Hey all,

Not sure where to start looking to resolve this issue. I have a '98 T/A with a Pioneer Premier head unit, Alpine Type-R front door speakers, Kicker sail panel speakers, all other speakers stock.

The issue I am having is that only the front door speakers are inop, all the others (sail, rear, and tweeters) are working just fine. I checked that the p/o wired in the sail panel speakers and the door speakers correctly, it was a very clean install. I replaced the stock Monsoon head unit with the Pioneer myself, I used the correct adapter plug, wired everything in correctly, etc. I checked for power @ the connectors for the fronts, I didn't seem to get any reading from them w/ my multimeter. So, I'm wondering where would be a good place to start checking to see what is going on here. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by LunarWillow; 11-07-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Kicker sail speakers, not Bazooka. :D
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Assuming you are still using Monsoon amp...

I am pretty sure the Monsoon amp blends bass from all 4 inputs that it gets from the HU and sends it to the sail subs.

Turn the fader all the way forward, then all the way back, and see if the sail subs significantly change their output level. If they do, then I would suspect the Monsoon amp isn't getting any amplified signal from the HU for the fronts. If they don't, then there is a problem between the front speakers and the Monsoon amp, or the front speakers themselves.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, still have the Monsoon amp. I will check that out and post up the results. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

OK, checked it out. The sail panels change output when the fader is changed from front to back, getting softer each way, the highest output is when the fader is dead center between front and back. So does that suggest the amp isn't getting proper signal from the head unit?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the volume in the sails is about the same when the fader is all the way forward vs all the way backward, that would indicate the Monsoon is getting the same input levels from both front and back from the HU. It's strongest with the fader in yjr middle because it's getting inputs from all 4 channels in HU.

So, I'd say everything up the Monsoon amp is good. It's possible that the front channels on your Monsoon amp are bad, but it seems more likely the front speakers are bad or have lost connectivity.

Did the front Alpines ever work correctly? They just suddenly stopped?

Where did you measure voltage for the fronts? Inside the door? Did you check for VAC (not VDC!) with music playing on the cone leads?

Quick Reply: Front door speakers not working, all others OK