Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check engine light

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

When I got my car didnt realize the check engine light was on because its all burned out....or i guess could possibly be tapped off. But only the very bottom left corner is lit up, and its a small corner at that.

Its on due to to rear o2 sensors.

But Im getting hptuners hopefully this week (ordered it friday) so I can shut that off, and would like it to be able to display incase something actually important goes wrong.

So how hard is it to change that?

Ive never taken anything apart inside the car yet, dont really want to break anything.

Did my 97 k1500 awhile back, but that was cake work compared to working on the car.

THanks
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

So you're saying you want your computer to still be able to throw codes for things not related to the oxygen sensors when you tune out the oxygen sensor code?

I'm no expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong but if something else goes wrong after the tune your computer should still throw the corresponding code.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by junior98
So you're saying you want your computer to still be able to throw codes for things not related to the oxygen sensors when you tune out the oxygen sensor code?

I'm no expert so someone correct me if I'm wrong but if something else goes wrong after the tune your computer should still throw the corresponding code.
no, I mean currently the light is on on the time, well you can only see a very very small light in the bottom left corner of the SES light.(except at night the whole thing glows dimly) I am going to tune the rear 2 o2 sensors out so it doesnt come on for that. But I want to replace the bulb in the dash so it lights up like normal if some other issue comes up.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

there should be a thread in the Lighting Frequently asked Questions that has a walkthru for replacing dash bulbs, Check in there.

Some basic tips tho, the black trim around the gauge cluster is held in purely by clips, no screws (that I can remember), drop the steering wheel all the way down and at the base of the turn signal switch is a big "bulge" in the plastic right behind the switch and the back of that will pop off, take that piece off, otherwise you can't swing the trim out of the way, it's got the fog light switch wires holding it from coming all the way out and I couldn't see where to disconnect them at, once it's out of the way you should see the screws holding the cluster in place.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 11-14-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Check engine light