Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How do I check if my TA ever had DRL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do I check if my TA ever had DRL?

It might seem like a stupid question. But can someone tell me what parts are definitely not going to be in my car if I don't have DRL? I know that sometimes harnesses and sensors are installed regardless if they get used so that is why I am asking.

Til recently I didn't realize that both front marker lights and parking/signal lights have been out. So I changed all the bulbs and had to replace the signal/parking light sockets. At first everything was good. Afterwards I saw that the parking lights would go on with the ignition on and the light switch off. I never noticed this before and it is intermittent. When this happens I also notice the parking lights are brighter.I am also feeling like the lights are flashing too fast (which could be in my head).
I even went as far as to stare at thr lit bulbs to make sure the wiring is right. *parking light is the dim filaments and signal lights are the bright filaments. (Only one filament for each function).
Until now it never dawned on me that this could just be a DRL that didn't work right before or I never noticed (shame on me if that's the case). So now I'm thinking I just have a DRL that never worked and is now intermittently working.
So, can someone tell me more on how the DRL are SUPPOSED to work? IE if there's a light sensor or if there's a switch to bypass them....

Any info would be material to help. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

For example. I get in my car this afternoon and it's operating like normal (what I expect). I start the car all lights are off until I move the headlight switch to the "parking light" position. Then go to headlights and the doors open, headlights go on, no change. So I turn the lights back off, keep the car running.

Phase II: problem or DRL?
After a couple of minutes (light switch off) I see the bulbs light up with the bright filament (switch still "off").
When I use the signals the bulbs go completely dark before flashing.
When I go to headlights the parking light goes to the dim filament and the signals are on the bright filament.

Am I panicking over nothing? Can someone tell me if this is normal operation of DRL? I've had the car over 3 years and NEVER had the DRL function happened.
The only thing I could think of is that when I changed the sockets something started working again. I dunno though.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

All 98-02 F-bodies have daytime running lights. There is a DRL module mounted behind the radio that controls this function. The DRLs use the same (bright) filament in the front bulbs as the turn signals.

The DRLs activate when the ignition is turned on and the parking brake is disengaged. Once the parking brake has been disengaged, re-engaging it will not turn off the DRLs - you must turn off the ignition and start over to turn off the DRLs. The DRLs turn off in favor of the dimmer parking lights when the headlights are on. The DRL module controls switching between solid on (DRL mode) and flashing (turn signal) for each side individually (and yes, they go dark first for flashing because they were already on).

There is no light sensor or switch to deactivate the DRLs. Why would you want to? They're not like automatic headlights that can be a problem at military bases or drive-in theaters (are there any of those still around?). Disabling them involves modifying the wiring at the DRL module or opening the module and soldering switch points together on the circuit board. You can find that information by searching "disable DRL".
Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

THE PARKING BRAKE!!!!!!!!!
That explains so much of what I couldn't figure out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much WhiteBird00. I knew you'd come through but didn't want to call you out by name. I did my best to get all the info on the DRL but you always top any internet research I can come up with. I owe you a serious drink.

Now I wonder what would've kept it from working in the past. I wonder if they default to inoperable if they don't sense the right current/resistance (for a broken bulb?). I have to see if I can find a logic chart or schematic for this module. As for all 98-02 f-bodys having it, I am shamed that I didn't know that. I guess the 50 people that saw this thread wanted me to sweat it out .

Thanks again. I feel like such a silly goose. A RELIEVED silly goose. I miss this stuff.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

i deleted my drls , i hate them , and glad you figured it out .

Quick Reply: How do I check if my TA ever had DRL?