Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering Wheel Controls!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Controls!

So i kinda would like to use my steering wheel controls. But at the same time I.feel like I'm just getting more lazy lol, I got another CDX-GT55UI from sony. I used the same radio in my Chevy S10 when I was slamming a 12" L7 absolutely loved that setup. Anyways back to the topic, I did my research on the PAC SWI-PS. Before I order this I would like to hear some input from people who.have actually used this and installed it themself.

-Blazer
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pass on the PAC and get the ASWC unit. Much easier to install.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, and what do I tie the wires to? Do they go to the harness for the radio or is there another harness I tie into?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any others have info on this? id like to hear more input!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

There is no difference in the connections for any of the aftermarket steering wheel interfaces - the difference is in the programming. All connect to switched power and ground (you can use the radio harness or any other convenient location), to the aftermarket radio using a miniature plug (except Kenwood which uses a blue/yellow wire) and to the dark blue steering wheel interface wire. The dark blue wire is in the factory harness at the radio but it is not duplicated in aftermarket radio harness adapters so you will have to splice into the factory wiring.

The PAC SWI-?? series requires a specific series of actions to program each button function. The Metra ASWC requires only turning on the ignition and holding the volume up button - it programs all the buttons from there.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is no difference in the connections for any of the aftermarket steering wheel interfaces - the difference is in the programming. All connect to switched power and ground (you can use the radio harness or any other convenient location), to the aftermarket radio using a miniature plug (except Kenwood which uses a blue/yellow wire) and to the dark blue steering wheel interface wire. The dark blue wire is in the factory harness at the radio but it is not duplicated in aftermarket radio harness adapters so you will have to splice into the factory wiring.

The PAC SWI-?? series requires a specific series of actions to program each button function. The Metra ASWC requires only turning on the ignition and holding the volume up button - it programs all the buttons from there.
thats actually really good to know, so the steering wheel does not have a harness for the radio controls?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, the steering wheel controls have only a yellow wire providing power and the dark blue wire which goes to the head unit. Each button has a different resistor so the head unit determines which button (or combination) is being pressed by checking the total resistance.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, the steering wheel controls have only a yellow wire providing power and the dark blue wire which goes to the head unit. Each button has a different resistor so the head unit determines which button (or combination) is being pressed by checking the total resistance.
ok, so i will only be using 3 total wires, power, and the dark blue? i just want to make sure i fully understand before i order this and start taping things that i shouldnt. happened in my truck when i tried to install my alarm system. .-. managed to tap into the airbag...
Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

FOUR wires:

- red wire connects to switched power input
- black wire connects to ground
- yellow/green wire connects to dark blue wire at pin 14 of the factory radio harness
- 3.5mm miniature plug goes into back of radio except for Kenwood which needs the interface's brown wire connected to the head unit's blue/yellow wire
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FOUR wires:

- red wire connects to switched power input
- black wire connects to ground
- yellow/green wire connects to dark blue wire at pin 14 of the factory radio harness
- 3.5mm miniature plug goes into back of radio except for Kenwood which needs the interface's brown wire connected to the head unit's blue/yellow wire
Ok so, i thought there was another. forgot the 3.5mm Thank you so much for you time and help Bird<3 this gives me much more confidence in doing this. i was skeptical at first due to all the wires on the harness. only to end up using 4 of them! much appreciated brotha!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Latch
I would pass on the PAC and get the ASWC unit. Much easier to install.
This ! I have done both and the pac controller is more tedious
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaraderie
This ! I have done both and the pac controller is more tedious
It looked like it too I'm pretty excited I have mine ordered now
Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So i am very happy with the Metra ASWC! only issue i had was my tap conectors sucked booty! lol so i just undid my electrical tap and soldered onto my previous points such as power and ground, for the Darkblue wire i cut behind the harness and soldered the three together. wasnt happy bout that but hey it works now, and i love being able to use the controls at my finger tips. makes riding with others better . Next on my list if USPS can get the right zipcode this time, i will have my XM antenna USPS decided to send it to the wrong sort facility and send it on the road, then they figured out that they were wrong.. .-. they failed at doing the one job that they "Do Best" lol
Old 03-21-2013, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Would you guys know if the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MSW module would work on our cars. I know its not showing on there page but would be great if it would. Like the way you can plug it into your pc to program it.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, it won't work.

But why would being able to program from a computer be better than just pressing a single button in the car and having it program itself (as the ASWC does)?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

I thought there was more to it then that. Also does the ASWC have any issues with Kenwood units?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No problem. The Kenwood units don't have the mini-stereo plug like most other brands so you have to splice a wire for the remote control but it's all covered in the instructions.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Ok Thanks

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Controls!