Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Issues 2002 Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Issues 2002 Firehawk

Hey all,

Having some issues with the Monsoon system in our 2002 Firehawk. I looked at the FAQ and did a search also. I have nothing from both B pillar speakers. I have swapped the head unit with one in my other Hawk and had the same issue. Is there a way to test the output at the speaker? I don't mind replacing things but I don't want to randomly replace parts. The wife is getting mad with no bass

Tony
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You can always plug in any 4-ohm speaker you may have or use one of the mids from the doors to see if you get any sound (you'll get bass only but it will tell you whether you have signal). But you can be fairly certain even without testing that the speakers are dead. The Firebird Monsoon uses four out of eight channels for the sail panel subs so if your door mids and hatch speakers are working (the other four channels), it is unlikely that the amp is the source of the problem. You may be able to see physical damage in the subs - torn or rotted cone suspension is not uncommon.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You can always plug in any 4-ohm speaker you may have or use one of the mids from the doors to see if you get any sound (you'll get bass only but it will tell you whether you have signal). But you can be fairly certain even without testing that the speakers are dead. The Firebird Monsoon uses four out of eight channels for the sail panel subs so if your door mids and hatch speakers are working (the other four channels), it is unlikely that the amp is the source of the problem. You may be able to see physical damage in the subs - torn or rotted cone suspension is not uncommon.
Thanks for the response I appreciate it. Any reccomendations on a direct fit speaker for these cars thats reasonable in price? I think I have a variety of speakers at my other place so I hope I can at least test the system. I will post my results when I do.

Tony
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The most popular replacements are the Bazooka 6.5" subs sold by our sponsors Kee Audio and Double D Mods. They are relatively inexpensive at $100 or less per pair and they are a good match to the Monsoon system.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The most popular replacements are the Bazooka 6.5" subs sold by our sponsors Kee Audio and Double D Mods. They are relatively inexpensive at $100 or less per pair and they are a good match to the Monsoon system.
Thanks again! I am going to pull one of my speakers out of my 93 tonight to see if that fixes the problem. If it does I'll be getting those replacements soon!

Tony
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

So I pulled the speakers from the 93 and 02 Hawks. The 93 has a 3.2 ohm unit with a different connector so I didn't swap them. Before I disconnected the 02 Hawks speaker, I felt the back of it and it is playing, just very little sound. Does that mean the speakers are blown? If that the case I'll just get the new speakers.

Tony
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Just ordered a set of Bazooka subs from Kee Audio...... Can't wait to get them and see if it fixes the issue!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

So I received my speakers on Friday from Kee Audio and I installed them today. Driver side was first and had no problems with the install. When I went to do the passenger side, I pulled the cover and there was no speaker! I guess that will cause the low bass problem.

Using the wiring diagram at the top of the forum I built a harness for the passenger speaker, redid the driver side the same way and it sounds much better obviously. Thanks for the help!

Tony

Quick Reply: Monsoon Issues 2002 Firehawk