Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where to run wires for mono amp and sub?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to run wires for mono amp and sub?

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on purchasing a single sub setup but had some questions on wiring and amp mounting locations. I am not an audio expert by any means but I know enough to be dangerous.

First, I currently have an Alpine CDA-117 head unit connected to an iPod mounted in the center console. I am still running the factory Monsoon system with the CDT speaker package. The car is nearly stock in all regards.

I am planning to purchase an Alpine MRV-M500 amp to power a single 10" Alpine SWS-10D4 in a stealthbox. I'm not trying to make my ears bleed, just wanting to add some bass that IMO is lacking with the stock Monsoon system. My original idea was to run all of the wiring leading to the amp down the passenger side, but I am concerned that the power wire will cause interference with the speaker signal wires or radio reception. So, what is the best way to route each wire to prevent signal interference?

I am not a fan of advertising what items I have to be stolen so I wanted to mount the amp in the spare tire area. However, given how small this amp is, could I mount it with the sub on the driver's side if it fits? Or will this cause some performance issues being near the sub?

As for the wire itself, should I purchase a wiring kit or is it not worth the convenience? I am worried that it will not have enough wire and I will end up buying more anyway. If you can recommend a good wiring kit, please let me know.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with KnuKoceptz KOL-AK4 kit, no complaints at all. My RCAs went back on the drivers side and power for the amp went down the passenger side to avoid any interference. I also had plenty of leftover wire.

Quick Reply: Where to run wires for mono amp and sub?