Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Key fob issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob issues

A week ago both my key fobs worked fine. I didn't touch or do anything to the car. Randomly now neither of them work. I replaced batteries in both. Still didnt work. Followed the re-program procedure and after holding the lock/unlock buttons at the same time step, the locks activate and trunk opens just as it should meaning that the key fob was successfully programmed. But after finishing the steps turning ignition off and replacing the fuse, the key fob doesn't work.
What would I be missing? Could it not be getting a signal? Why would it successfully program but then not work?

oh, 2002 z28
Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

My main key fob just stopped responding for me today (while I was at work so I didn't have access to the other), it has done this to me once before a few months back late one night at walmart, I replaced the batteries in both that night and haven't had an issue till today, this time I opened up the key FOB and took it apart down to just the circuit board and found a "film" of black "grease" like stuff on it, I cleaned that off with a rag and cleaned the black contacts (on the back of the button pad) with the rag again and put it all back together and it is working much better now. Not saying this will solve your issue but it might and there is no harm in trying.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
My main key fob just stopped responding for me today (while I was at work so I didn't have access to the other), it has done this to me once before a few months back late one night at walmart, I replaced the batteries in both that night and haven't had an issue till today, this time I opened up the key FOB and took it apart down to just the circuit board and found a "film" of black "grease" like stuff on it, I cleaned that off with a rag and cleaned the black contacts (on the back of the button pad) with the rag again and put it all back together and it is working much better now. Not saying this will solve your issue but it might and there is no harm in trying.
Thanks for the reply. I will take it apart and look for any residue

Quick Reply: Key fob issues