Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power Antenna Switch ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Power Antenna Switch ?'s

I am putting a power antenna in my car and have a couple ?'s. I am thinking of disconnecting the switch for the rear window defroster and using that for a switch to power the antenna, since my rear window is tinted. I can't remember if that switch is momentary or not, or is it on a timer. And will it work for a switch to send the antenna up and down? Thanks for any help

Eric
Old 05-02-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is a momentary switch.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

But why do you want to make it go up and down with a switch? Do you have a factory radio or a aftermarket radio?
Old 05-02-2004, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

xaon, Thanks for the answer.

maddboost, I have the stock radio, but listen to alot of cd's. Since I have to run a wire from the radio to the antenna anyway, I figured I might as well put a switch in line.

Eric
Old 05-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Launching!

What's the logic behind the power antenna? (I'm taking my car in this weekend for a warranty replacement of the power antenna, it's finally completely broken). Is it supposed to be up when the car is on and the radio is on? So all a switch can do is keep it down?
Old 05-03-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't remember where I found the writeup but I'll look and post a link when I do but I used the convertable plate where the traction control goes. I now have 2 switches. 1 for Traction control and the other for the antenna. It all looks stock.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Can't remember where I found the writeup but I'll look and post a link when I do but I used the convertable plate where the traction control goes. I now have 2 switches. 1 for Traction control and the other for the antenna. It all looks stock.
It's different in a Camaro - the switches don't go in the same place. However, the Camaro has the advantage that you can add a third switch in the blank spot above the radio. Get a fog light switch and put that in the empty switch blank. It is on/off (not momentary) and will look factory installed.

BTW, unless you have metallic, really thick, or really cheap tint on your back window, it won't prevent you from using the defroster. I use mine all the time with a tinted back window. There have even been times that I forgot it was on for the full 15 minutes even though the window had cleared quickly - no damage to the tint or the defroster.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Whitebird00, Thanks. I think in the four years I have had the car I used the defroster maybe two times, both those the first year I had the car before I tinted the window. There just is no use for it here, today it was just over a 100 degrees.

PFDarkside, I got the antenna really cheap and the mast is bent on the fixed one. Yes, with the switch I can just keep it down while listening to cd's.

Quick Reply: Power Antenna Switch ?'s