Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power antenna

I replaced my stock monsoon head unit with an aftermarket one and ever since my power antenna will not go up or down. I don't think its off track or the motor is burned out though because if it is all the way up and I start to push down on it, the motor grabs it and pulls it down fast by itself. What could be wrong? Also, I leave it down, is this the reason I get **** for radio signal?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

sounds like you forgot to hook up the power antenna connection (and i'm not talking about the big black antenna wire) on the radio wire harness, usually they are blue, but can also be blue with white line. also some HU's have separate amp turn on (if running aftermarket amp) wires and power antenna wires and some just use the one wire for both.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Ok, what color wire is the power antenna? On the cars wire harness? And what should I do with it to get it to come up any time the car is on, that would be fine by me.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:29 AM
TECH Addict

first what model exactly is your headunit? the wire harness adapter that plugs into the factory harness (and gets wired to the new HU harness) should have a blue wire (see the monsoon sticky for the color of said wire in factory wiring), what you connect that to like I said before depends on whether your radio has separate amp remote wire/ power antenna or they share one wire for both.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
first what model exactly is your headunit? the wire harness adapter that plugs into the factory harness (and gets wired to the new HU harness) should have a blue wire (see the monsoon sticky for the color of said wire in factory wiring), what you connect that to like I said before depends on whether your radio has separate amp remote wire/ power antenna or they share one wire for both.
The head unit is a jvc right now and it does have a blue and white wire that isn't attached to anything that says amp/power antenna on it
Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Assuming you used a proper harness adapter to enable a plug-in connection between your aftermarket head unit and the factory harness (i.e. you didn't butcher the factory connector), you should connect the blue/white wire to the blue wire of the harness adapter. That will make the antenna go up whenever the head unit is powered on.

If you didn't use a harness adapter... stop. Buy the Metra 71-1858 factory harness repair adapter to replace the cut off factory connector and the 70-1858 harness adapter to connect to the aftermarket head unit. Then just connect the wires color-to-color (red to red, yellow to yellow, etc.) and plug it in. The exception is the blue with white wire... since JVC apparently didn't see fit to provide both blue and blue with white wires, you have to connect their blue with white to the adapter's blue wire.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

I do have the adapter and I tried that yesterday and somehow all it did was make my steering wheel controls not work even though I didn't mess with that adapter..
Old 09-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

That would mean that you connected to the dark blue wire on the factory side of the connector (the OEM steering wheel control wire). You need to connect to the blue wire in the adapter harness on the head unit side of the connector - alongside all the other connections from the aftermarket HU.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That would mean that you connected to the dark blue wire on the factory side of the connector (the OEM steering wheel control wire). You need to connect to the blue wire in the adapter harness on the head unit side of the connector - alongside all the other connections from the aftermarket HU.
Thanks man ill give it a shot
Old 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks it worked!

Quick Reply: power antenna